Yet another firebox insulation tweak (or: Zircar stikes again)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Maybe my mom was right - I can't seem to leave well enough alone. My dislike of cast iron liners inside a firebox, and preference for high-temp ceramic materials, has been expressed often enough here, so I won't repeat it. The Nestor Martin X33 which I enjoy daily in the basement has all ceramic lining (mostly Skamol) except for one cast iron piece at the bottom rear of the firebox. I happened to notice yesterday that this piece is just wedged in place behind the side panels. So I took everything apart and removed it to examine it better. It's a 16"x9-1/4" piece of cast iron weighing about 17 lbs, and a half inch thick.

Well, it just so happens that the Zircar RS-1200 refractory sheet that I bought last year for the Jotul F602 experiments is the same thickness, and I just happen to have a 16"x16" piece of it left over. What a coincidence. So I cut it to the right size (it weighs 5 lbs vs the iron's 17 lbs), drilled the holes for the side panel support brackets, and put it in. Perfect fit. Didn't have a chance to fire it up yesterday but I'll burn it today and report back. No temp measurements this time, just observations - I'm not expecting anything major.

Attachments

• x33back.jpg
    x33back.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 388
Been very busy and couldn't post for a few days. There is no question that the stove burns hotter with the RS1200 backplate. There is more heat coming out the glass. The firebox is even cleaner at the end of a burn than it was. There is more flame in the back of the firebox, no doubt because it's hotter back there. As a consequence, I can load bigger pieces and get longer burns, and the fire is more stable and controllable at lower burn rates. It certainly made more of a difference than I expected. It's definitely a keeper.

Highly insulated fireboxes are a good thing, in every respect.

Congrats on another one Mr. Stove Wizard.

Did you watch that cartoon show when you were a young'un? Tooter the Turtle and Mr. Wizard? Tooter would find his way into trouble and Mr Wizard would come and rescue him with the incantation: "Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drome, time for this one to come home."

Nah. I watched "Watch Mr. Wizard" in the 50's. Don Herbert tried to teach us science stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.