Yet another hearth pad question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amishfriend

Jan 3, 2023
pennsylvania
Im thinking of having a custom made hearth pad made by an Amish neighbor of mine. I know some of them use an aluminum diamond plate piece of metal 16 gage. This is pricy at the moment and I didn't know if a flat piece of steel would be better? Does anyone know the difference in qualities of using a piece of steel vs almuminum. And / or, what is the real difference between those two options, and an Imperial board you can get at Tractor Supply?
I suspect the actual metal on those Imperial boards is pretty thin. This will be placed in a shed / cabin so doesnt need to be facny and on a wood / plywood floor.

Thanks

What stove will this be for? What are its hearth requirements?

What stove will this be for? What are its hearth requirements?
It is for an older cookstove. Its a mealmaster with a fairly small fire box (9x9x19 max) which is on the upper left hand side of the stove. Hearth requirements are unknown as little to no info can be found. Looks similar to the one in the picture attached.
mealmaster stove.JPG

I have that same stove up at camp. It's pretty safe just as it stands. They , (You know, The Gods of They), say 18 inches out front and over to the left side. We never had that and stove works fabulousely. Load from the top and when cooled down clean out from the front and you will be fine. Shorter splits work better. 12 inches or so.

Where is your chimney?

It is for an older cookstove. Its a mealmaster with a fairly small fire box (9x9x19 max) which is on the upper left hand side of the stove. Hearth requirements are unknown as little to no info can be found. Looks similar to the one in the picture attached.View attachment 306840
Also you could go get some slate tiles from Home Depot and set it up on that. Probably a lot ceaper and better looking.

It is for an older cookstove. Its a mealmaster with a fairly small fire box (9x9x19 max) which is on the upper left hand side of the stove. Hearth requirements are unknown as little to no info can be found. Looks similar to the one in the picture attached.View attachment 306840
It's an unlisted stove so to meet code you need 18" all the way around and I believe you need 3 sheets of cement board to meet the insulation requirements for it. I know this is overkill for these old cook stoves but they were never tested for clearances or hearth requirements so we have to go with the default requirements

Reactions: SpaceBus
That looks great, looks like new. Do you have a manual or any documentation stating the hearth and clearance requirements? Typically the hearth spec was metal-wrapped millboard with an R=1.19 hearth insulation value.

PS: This website verifies requirements. 24" clearance all directions and "stove board" hearth.

That looks great, looks like new. Do you have a manual or any documentation stating the hearth and clearance requirements? Typically the hearth spec was metal-wrapped millboard with an R=1.19 hearth insulation value.
Begreen, would the fiberboard backing from a piece of a previously used and cut Imperial stove board be suitable to be used , without the metal facing, cut in small pieces and doubled up to one inch, as spacers to mount a new sheet steel wall heat shield, much as you have previously described using micore?
Man, that’s one long sentence.

It's pretty soft stuff. Instead, I would cut long 3" wide firring strips out of a 3x5 sheet of cement board. Double them up and mount them to the studs to create the 1" thick vertical spacers.

I have a piece of 1/4” cement tile backer board already. Thinking that 4 layers should work with a little more fussing on the install.

Company is still in business, I guess they don't make Mealmasters any longer. Most I've seen are just in a kitchen with no boards, hearts or anything else. My neighbor cooked on one every day. I have one but we don't have it hooked up. Does yours have the water tank on the right side?

I have that same stove up at camp. It's pretty safe just as it stands. They , (You know, The Gods of They), say 18 inches out front and over to the left side. We never had that and stove works fabulousely. Load from the top and when cooled down clean out from the front and you will be fine. Shorter splits work better. 12 inches or so.

Where is your chimney?
The chimney goes out the back directly and is going to be outside of the cabin

PS: This website verifies requirements. 24" clearance all directions and "stove board" hearth.
Thanks for the responses. The plan is to go with the 16 gage aluminum hearth and keep the stove 14" away from the drywall. On top of the drywall directly is a .4" hardboard. On top of that, I'm planning on using small ceramic spacers for 1" and then three thicknesses of metal roofing material to act as my heat shield. This should exceed the gage requirement for heat shield by over 40pct. What do you guys think?

There is little gain with the additional layers. I see no need for the cement board and only one layer of metal is needed. One layer of the metal shield on 1" ceramic spacers is all that is needed as long as it's open 1" on the bottom and top to allow the free flow of air to convect behind it.