you gotta be kidding me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoveguy2esw

Minister of Fire
Nov 14, 2006
madison hgts. va
http://news.yahoo.com/schools-starve-students-over-money-195000176--politics.html

this is outrageous !

had this happened to my little girl when she was in school I might have shot someone.

you guys know me , I tend to "swing" conservative to a point, but jeez! you just gotta read this, and if ya have school age kids read it thoroughly. if I have to pay a higher tax rate to prevent this , so be it. not a lesson I would have wanted my baby to learn n this way

Gives a whole new meaning to the pathetic label of: "American exceptonalism."

Nutritious food is extremely important for a child's future physical and mental health, academic achievement, and economic productivity. Yet, we find these same people who think that it is more productive to give a hungry child food, then take it away and throw it in the trash, complain about their hard earned tax dollars going towards food subsidies for people who do not have access to nutritious food.

As a country, we can spend billions of dollars on useless political ad campaigns but we can't feed our own. That's exceptional!

Reactions: Beer Belly
Get rid of these lunch money accounts and go back to the old way. Make your kids lunch or give them the 2 bucks to buy something.

Throwing the food away is just stupid though.

Reactions: Ashful and bsruther
When my kids were in elementary school years ago there was a $9.00 buffer in the account. I believe it was for 6 days. Once you started using that buffer money they sent home a cafeteria homework paper to the parent. They didn't tell the child their parent didn't pay
You are correct "outrageous" They don't pay for the lunch but do pay a hefty salary to a district spokes person and he apologizes on Facebook

Reactions: flyingcow
I would lose my mind if that happened to my kid.....if I had any....heck, it down right ticks me off hearing about anyhow.....I just keep picturing the look on the childs face as the food gets tossed, and they walk away hungry....outrageous

Someone would be feeling the wrath right about now. That is insane, my Mom was the lunch lady back in the day and everyone ate. Many a child went thru without paying. At the end of the day the threw away as much as they served.

Reactions: Beer Belly
http://news.yahoo.com/schools-starve-students-over-money-195000176--politics.html

this is outrageous !

had this happened to my little girl when she was in school I might have shot someone.

you guys know me , I tend to "swing" conservative to a point, but jeez! you just gotta read this, and if ya have school age kids read it thoroughly. if I have to pay a higher tax rate to prevent this , so be it. not a lesson I would have wanted my baby to learn n this way
Lol, you don't swing TOO far conservative! We do not need a new tax. The people who made this rule need fired! Why is everything fixed with more taxes?

I hope the Utah people stand up and replace the people that are responsible,,,NOW!

The reality of this is most of the time this is the only decent meal they get. And I live in a very rural area. Get to know some of the "parents". The school is getting to be a much better place for these kids to be. Our elementary teachers and principal worry about the wknds.

We just had a meeting of our condo association in RI (our summer place). Some of the residents complained a bit and said they wanted to start new committees about building improvements and landscaping. Our President shook his head (he's a practical man of action) and said "talk about what you want - it all comes down to dollars and cents and y'all have said you don't want to increase the condo fees. I know, just like you do, that the nails are popping on your decks and they need sanding, but if you want that done now we need to increase fees"......

I think that's a microcosm of what is happening around the country these days. On the positive side, I just read that state coffers are filling up fast with $$$....so most can't claim they are short on funds. I have a feeling that this thing was not done because of $$, but to "teach them a lesson".....same thing, really.

I'm sure those administrators would tell you that they gained their exalted positions in life because of their personal fortitude (but a careful study would probably show they were born and raised with priviledge)....and therein lies the root of the problem.

We just had a meeting of our condo association in RI (our summer place). Some of the residents complained a bit and said they wanted to start new committees about building improvements and landscaping. Our President shook his head (he's a practical man of action) and said "talk about what you want - it all comes down to dollars and cents and y'all have said you don't want to increase the condo fees. I know, just like you do, that the nails are popping on your decks and they need sanding, but if you want that done now we need to increase fees"......

The usual dodge is for the wealthy to reach into the general fund to get their improvements payed for by the state taxpayers, AKA a "Historic District" which will conveniently include an exclusionary threshhold of, say, $5-10K to keep the riffraff out.

this is outrageous !

Mean while the teachers wouldn't give my daughter any extra class help because it wasn't in her contract and she wasn't getting paid for it. (This was during teacher contract negotiations). Our town gets charged $14,000 per student it sends to our neighboring town. Education is really becoming a nightmare.

OK. Plenty of righteous indignation. Now, how about suggestions for how to get the parents to pay the bill for feeding their kids?

there really isn't a way to enforce school lunch payments other than to incorperate it into the cost of the school's operating budget. there's just no way to punish lack of responsibility without punishing the children as a secondary consequence. I'm not against hitting people with a stick, but i
m not sure how effective it is in getting people to act like grown ups....still fun to do though. Can we eat the irresponsible parents? Egh...too gamey. You know what they say....."it takes a village"....they also say "don't eat sour haddock".

Reactions: vinny11950
BB you generally can't. Small claims is Al we can do. Just send it out to a collection agency after all else fails

I don't have kids but if I get a bill from the schools and don't pay it they can take my house and sell it. Why should billing parents for the kid's meals be any different?

I don't have kids but if I get a bill from the schools and don't pay it they can take my house and sell it. Why should billing parents for the kid's meals be any different?
Just can't. Not in this state. If you don't pay your town taxes the town eventually takes your property. If you owe the school directly that's different. Ironically, the majority of parents that owe lunch money would qualify for free or reduced lunch. They won't fill out the paperwork.

Just can't. Not in this state. If you don't pay your town taxes the town eventually takes your property. If you owe the school directly that's different. Ironically, the majority of parents that owe lunch money would qualify for free or reduced lunch. They won't fill out the paperwork.

strikes me that you have to register your child in the school they go to (we had to with my girl) if the paperwork is necessary to get the lunch issue done it should be made part of the registration process.

If i forgot my lunch I didn't eat or a friend would help me out. Should be the parents responsibility to pack a lunch or give them a couple bucks to eat. I wouldn't expect the school to do it. At least they gave them fruit and milk to hold them over. Better than greasy pizza anyway

/end rant

They all get lunch or no one does.

This policy teaches all the wrong lessons to kids. It teaches social stratification and the consequences of being poor or coming from a chaotic family that is unstable enough not to care for the lunch of their children. It also makes the school an unfriendly place to be when it should be the opposite. Children should be learning to work together and learn together in a safe environment.

And as mentioned above, nutrients for kids is very important to their development and learning. It probably costs society more in terms of mentally stability and productivity.

But they did give them fruit and milk, which is something.

Crazy

If i forgot my lunch I didn't eat or a friend would help me out. Should be the parents responsibility to pack a lunch or give them a couple bucks to eat. I wouldn't expect the school to do it. At least they gave them fruit and milk to hold them over. Better than greasy pizza anyway

/end rant

same here , but my beef is why serve them then make them throw it away, the premise is ridiculous. what would this teach the child?

strikes me that you have to register your child in the school they go to (we had to with my girl) if the paperwork is necessary to get the lunch issue done it should be made part of the registration process.
It is recommended to do it then but some don't. Can't force them too. Keep in mind the more impoversed kids you have the better overall funding. So the school is trying to sign parents up. The feds use the numbers of free or reduced lunch numbers to qualify a school for additional help. You do not need to on welfare. Most working families qualify.

They all get lunch or no one does.

This policy teaches all the wrong lessons to kids. It teaches social stratification and the consequences of being poor or coming from a chaotic family that is unstable enough not to care for the lunch of their children. It also makes the school an unfriendly place to be when it should be the opposite. Children should be learning to work together and learn together in a safe environment.

And as mentioned above, nutrients for kids is very important to their development and learning. It probably costs society more in terms of mentally stability and productivity.

But they did give them fruit and milk, which is something.

Crazy

bingo! this is the point i wanted to make but vinny did a better job of it than i did.

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.