you gotta be kidding me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Reactions: Frozen Canuck
I dunno..is it a better approach? The food is already cooked no? If they budget the meals based on the number they expect to serve does not the surplus food become trash? How does this cost less?

Funny how we argue over pennies and let trillions go (because the trillions pay for listening to our phone calls, etc.)......

But, as BB says, the "outrage machine" (media and politics) tends to steer the conversation these days. Somewhere someone is always getting the shaft.......but, overall, things are probably the best they have ever been in human history for the largest number of people....

Feeding lunch should be part of the School Budget, and responsibility, but instead, they contract an outside company to provide, and handle the lunch program, and the company looks at the $$$, not the child. I don't have kids, but if you NEED to increase my taxes, to make sure ALL kids are fed, so be it, I'd gladly pay.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Feeding lunch should be part of the School Budget, and responsibility, but instead, they contract an outside company to provide, and handle the lunch program, and the company looks at the $$$, not the child. I don't have kids, but if you NEED to increase my taxes, to make sure ALL kids are fed, so be it, I'd gladly pay.

i agree, i'd much rather know my tax dollars are making sure that kids are geting nutrition at school than paying for some foriegn country's bribe money so they "like" us (when usually they dont)

same here , but my beef is why serve them then make them throw it away, the premise is ridiculous. what would this teach the child?
ya. i don't understand that at all

Kids gotta have those veggies.

"Pizza is a vegetable for the purposes of determining what goes into public school lunches by virtue of the fact that pizza traditionally includes a schemer of tomato paste."

"School meals that are subsidized by the federal government must include a certain amount of vegetables," the AP reports, "and USDA's proposal could have pushed pizza-makers and potato growers out of the school lunch business." It would have pushed vegetable growers into the business, but their lobbyists aren't as powerful, it seems."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/pizza-vegetable-school-lunches-lobbyists_n_1098029.html

Believe me, I work for a school system.....Union officer my entire time here, with the exception of this year, was President for two terms and saw first hand the waste of taxpayer $$$....all the perks for some (under the table)....some fellow workers get as many as an extra 40 paid days off, along with their normal 15 vacation, 10 sick, 2 personal, and 17 paid holidays, and a tremendous amount of O/T to oversee an outside contractor doing the job that THEY should be doing....the waste is in the $100,000+ range that I know of.......I choose not to run for office, because it makes me sick::-).....Sorry, rant over;em

The usual dodge is for the wealthy to reach into the general fund to get their improvements payed for by the state taxpayers, AKA a "Historic District" which will conveniently include an exclusionary threshhold of, say, $5-10K to keep the riffraff out.
Sounds like sour grapes .

If i forgot my lunch I didn't eat or a friend would help me out. Should be the parents responsibility to pack a lunch or give them a couple bucks to eat. I wouldn't expect the school to do it. At least they gave them fruit and milk to hold them over. Better than greasy pizza anyway
X2

i agree, i'd much rather know my tax dollars are making sure that kids are geting nutrition at school than paying for some foriegn country's bribe money so they "like" us (when usually they dont)

I'm with you and belly. The budget provides lunch for anyone that wants it. Not all will. My daughter opts out 3 out of 5 on average.

The lunch program is federal dollars. You can't force parents to fill out the form. Some are too proud. Some can't be bothered. There are 1,000 stories. I have "helped" kids get it filled out.

As crappy as this story is, I'm still waiting on the story about the scads of kids who get fed every day thanks to school staff. I probably spend 5% of my salary on food for kids who don't get enough, and most other teachers do the same.

As far as food left over, give it to those who need it to take home.

Status
Not open for further replies.