You know it's cold when...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
Just got back from a walk with the dog. We had a couple of weeks of warmer temps but the thermometer has dropped again ... You know it's cold when:

7. The outside cat runs the opposite way when you open the door...
6. Frost is forming on the windows where the seals are shot...
5. The deck board makes a cracking noise when you step on it...
4. You get brain freeze with a faint breeze...
3. You have frost forming on your scarf or neck cuff...
2. The snow squeaks and crunches when you walk...
1. You see the exhaust from the pellet stove...

There's more but you get the idea. -9F/-23C currently but looks like the overnight low was in the -28C area.

...When my moustache gets frozen solid with ice from me breathing and my scarf is solid too. Coming this way later in the week I hear (Accuweather).

It's snowing and has been snowing non stop here since about 1am this morning. 13+ inches and 3-4 foot drifts..... woohoo.

Reactions: mustangwagz
Yep, squeaky snow, that's a sure sign it's cold.

Reactions: mustangwagz
Tomorrow's weather: 7*F high/-3 low with 12" snow and 25mph wind gusts. Will burn more than 2 bags of Blazers! Last Tuesday the blizzard of '15 blessed us with 29" snow and 4 ft drifts on Tuesday and another 8 " snow Friday.

...When my moustache gets frozen solid with ice from me breathing and my scarf is solid too. Coming this way later in the week I hear (Accuweather).

It's snowing and has been snowing non stop here since about 1am this morning. 13+ inches and 3-4 foot drifts..... woohoo.

Minus the mustache for me;lol;lol

Minus the mustache for me;lol;lol
Better be carefull, someone is likely to suggest Harman treatment:)
Woke up to -1F but the wind did get below 30 mph this morning so wasn't to bad.
Wish we had some snow here. The driveway is almost a solid sheet of ice only traction is from Bixby biscuits

My Harman is running and I dont think the house is too hot..............I couldn't resist.

Lake girl is hot in your corner here -27 ° C in the day and -36 ° C at night without windchill

The weather is saying -3F here for Monday night after another foot of snow. 26F here today feels pretty good to that -7 your getting

Reactions: olmec
When I come back from my morning 8 mile run and the outside of my hat is frozen over and the inside steams when I take it off. -10F here this morning

Reactions: Lake Girl

Better be carefull, someone is likely to suggest Harman treatment:)
Woke up to -1F but the wind did get below 30 mph this morning so wasn't to bad.
Wish we had some snow here. The driveway is almost a solid sheet of ice only traction is from Bixby biscuits

Bixby biscuits... I like it. No issue with snow here. Been out again with the loader tractor moving snow. I'd say we have about 12" on the flat now and 3 foot drifts and it's not abating one bit....

Headed for the east coast.

No Harman treatment here. 6041 treatment works fine.

You know it's cold when it takes a half force axe strike to make your splits fly far enough to make the dogs nervous.

Reactions: Lake Girl
It's really cold when my dog, prefers to pee on the porch rather than go for a walk........ Thats cold. She don't like the snow either. She's a coon hound Basset mix and low to the ground (but loveable) and she gets her 'hangy down parts' in the snow and she's not fond of that....

If I got my parts in the snow, I wouldn't be happy either.

You know it's cold when it takes a half force axe strike to make your splits fly far enough to make the dogs nervous.

When we had the outdoor wood boiler, used to put any punky wood to the side and split it when the temps got real low. ;lol

It's really cold when my dog, prefers to pee on the porch rather than go for a walk........ Thats cold. She don't like the snow either. She's a coon hound Basset mix and low to the ground (but loveable) and she gets her 'hangy down parts' in the snow and she's not fond of that....

If I got my parts in the snow, I wouldn't be happy either.
Same thing here. She is a miniature dash hound and anything over an inch of snow She will wait for me to to brush a spot off with my boot then she will go

In 60 days this will all be a distant memory and you'll be getting the lawnmower tuned up.....

When my deck does a snap crackle pop.. Open the door and cats run the other way. I have to pick up my dachshund because her feet are cold.

Same thing here. She is a miniature dash hound and anything over an inch of snow She will wait for me to to brush a spot off with my boot then she will go

Nice to know I'm not the only one with that issue, I mean my pup.

When she does go out and comes in, she has to be what we call 'beached' with a towel to dry her off. She's been 'beached' about 4 times today, last time she looked like a snowman when she came in.....;lol

Nice to know I'm not the only one with that issue, I mean my pup.

When she does go out and comes in, she has to be what we call 'beached' with a towel to dry her off. She's been 'beached' about 4 times today, last time she looked like a snowman when she came in.....;lol
Yup that snow there today will be here tomorrow
She doesn't mind playing in it she just needs bare ground to go in it Spoiled little $%^&

Just got back from a walk with the dog. We had a couple of weeks of warmer temps but the thermometer has dropped again ... You know it's cold when:

7. The outside cat runs the opposite way when you open the door...
6. Frost is forming on the windows where the seals are shot...
5. The deck board makes a cracking noise when you step on it...
4. You get brain freeze with a faint breeze...
3. You have frost forming on your scarf or neck cuff...
2. The snow squeaks and crunches when you walk...
1. You see the exhaust from the pellet stove...

There's more but you get the idea. -9F/-23C currently but looks like the overnight low was in the -28C area.

Woke up to -29 without the windchill... Yikes

Yup that snow there today will be here tomorrow
She doesn't mind playing in it she just needs bare ground to go in it Spoiled little $%^&

Hopefully, the storm peters out a bit by the time it gets to the eastern seaboard. Been snowing steady since last midnight without letup. I believe we have at least 15" on the ground and it's not supposed to abate until around 7am Monday morning.

It's hard to tell how much we actually have as it's been going sideways all day. The drifts right now are 3-4 feet and the north-south roads are all impassable. Interestingly, the storm is tracking east, but the snow is going west.

Had the FWA tractor out 2 times keeping the lane to the feed bunks open and the drive to the barn passable but tomorrow morning will be a treat. I have some huge snow piles already.

Snow is well up to her undercarriage now and she's protesting......;lol

We got freaking ripped off...ended up with like MAYBE 3" of wet snow..wtf...freaking horsecrap, i wanted like 12+ inches!

Can't tell how much snow we have. Goes from 4 ft deep drift to bare ground. Temps dropping fast tonight hope the wind slows down overnight.
No complaints it's been a fairly mild winter overall.

Pretty tame compared to last winter ... got spoiled by a couple of weeks of milder temps that had snow melting:)

Status
Not open for further replies.