You Know You're Old When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
piejam said:
I wonder what folks will come up with today....hahaha

For today?
How about the little plastic scuba diver or submarine that came in a
cereal box & had a small compartment that you filled with baking
soda? You could put the cover back on that compartment & put the toy
in a fishtank, sink, bucket (whatever) full of water & it would dive &
re-surface until the baking soda ran out. Dry it off & repeat. Anybody?
Bueller?

Wow..don't remember that...but guessing it was more male oriented...I'm lucky my parents allowed Jif peanut butter in the house! Raised by a real old world 2nd generation american couple..Mom was 40yrs old when she had me! Surprised I didn'nt crawl out of the crib to leave home....l

Thanks for chiming in Daksy..I must be exhausting people by now......lol...

PS was the sub Yellow????

i'm not old enough to remember most of the stuff y'all are talkin about...but I DO remember Richard Dawson on Family Feud...those were the days. What exactly was it about Richard that made all the ladies want to jump him like that?

"Survey Says!"

Delta-T: Dawson was a very witty fellow.....that turns some people on..I do indeed miss him..He once hosted a Playboy Roller Disco Party featuring Dorothy Stratton..My DH taped it..dumb me loaned it to a co-worker who lost it..Don't think that DH ever forgave me for that one! I don't blame him..Stratton was beautiful, not to mention all the girls on roller skates in itsy bitsy bikinis...I was in purgatory for a long time...

You'll have to forgive us old folks but were not quite out to pasture yet...Some of the worlds greatest minds made their contributions late in life! Ya can always learn something from someone else even if you think your smarter..Ya never know...you just may be surprised..

I'm not directing that to you, just a general comment..Thanks for sharing your impressions and memories!!!

forgive you old folks??? bah, you need no forgiveness. some of my favorite people are older than me...actually, almost all my favorite people. i am a time paradox. huge fan of music from the 60's ( i own the entire Jethro Tull and Yes catalogs). my fav movie is Auntie Mame (Roslind Russel version, not that crumby Lucile Ball remake). i use the word "livid" when i'm upset. i was probably a dirty hippie in my previous life (most recent previous life that is). i miss Roller Disco Parties too.

The Adventures Of Bullwhip Griffin (Roddy McDowell)
Tales by Hans Christian Anderson
and Christmas with the Royal Guardsman- Snoopy vs. the Red Baron
I think I'm regressing, and I never made it past 13.
Kenny

HAHAHA

Delta you're great..did ya notice I don't mention I love Lucy...I did enjoy the show but thought Desi was better..Her voice was annoying..and the schtick didn't work when she matured...

Dirty old hippie huh?...Fritz the Cat was about a college student who wanted to sow some wild oats, smoked dope in Harlem, inadvertently got his best friend kill, ran across the country in a VW bug with his girlfriend..they were chased by cops(played by pigs-what a surprise) and well it was an x rated satire of the 60's...

Love all kinds of music especially Calf. Acid Rock and British Invasion Music...Hope I age as well as my mom(lived to 93) but without what she called OLD TIMERS disease! I swear its true...I miss a lot from those days..especially Saturday Night Live...John Belushi doing Joe Cocker was classic.....

Thanks again for sharing..be good, if not be careful...

You and me both Kenny! I'm still a child at heart...

Huck Finn, Million Dollar Movie, The Untouchables..never was a hugh fan of the Mickey Mouse Club..drank a lot of Kool-Aid

What ever happened to Church Bazaar's? You know the down home type...

I always said Belushi did Cocker better that Cocker did Cocker.

Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Red Sox on the radio, we didn't have tv. Outhouse attatched to the barn, didn't have to walk outside in the winter to get there. Chamberpots under the bed, they'd freeze in the winter. Remember when electricity arrived in Brighton Plantation, we got indoor plumbin'.

hossthehermit said:
Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Red Sox on the radio, we didn't have tv. Outhouse attatched to the barn, didn't have to walk outside in the winter to get there. Chamberpots under the bed, they'd freeze in the winter. Remember when electricity arrived in Brighton Plantation, we got indoor plumbin'.

Hey Hoss, did ya have a wooden bath tub too? I'm not being facetious,really..I remember my Grandmother's tub at her home in Pa...the frig had a coil no ice 4 porcelain legs and short...think the coil sat on top...it was sooooo long ago...lol She did have a big pot belly stove..hey it was a coal mining town...

The only radio I remember was Murray the K...Clay cole...we had an rca victor 9 inch screen tv..the professional fights on Ch9 in NY and Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer..think the dawg's name was Nipper...

OK. Just flashed to one for the girls:
Give it up for Betsy McCall!
My older cousin, Cheryl, used cut dresses out
of the magazines at my Great Aunt's home...

DAKSY said:
OK. Just flashed to one for the girls:
Give it up for Betsy McCall!
My older cousin, Cheryl, used cut dresses out
of the magazines at my Great Aunt's home...

Did the sewing machine have manual peddles?...There are so many things in the back of my head..are you folks getting tired of me yet????lol

When I was in grade school they pulled us out into the auditorium to watch NASA launches...the JFK physical fitness program....if you didn't succeed you failed gym! Polio shots at the school nurses office perform by county doctor....TB too....my father marked my leg so they couldn't scare my arm!!!

Nipper was the RCA terrier :)

Under Dog !!!

Beanie & Cecil

Thanks for the cartoon's Dix...I'm in my second childhood...Was A Flintstone's Fan,Popeye, Bette Boop..now you know they were written for the BIG kids...

Oops..forgot the Road Runner...was glued to the TV for those...

It's wonderful to be here, it's certainly a thrill
You're such a lovely audience, we'd like to take you home with us
We'd love to take you home with us

I don't really wanna stop the show
But I'd thought you like to know........

Thanks to all who chimed in and shared some memories and belly laughs...Had a lot of fun and hope you did too!

piejam said:
hossthehermit said:

Hey Hoss, did ya have a wooden bath tub too? I'm not being facetious,really..I remember my Grandmother's tub at her home in Pa...the frig had a coil no ice 4 porcelain legs and short...think the coil sat on top...it was sooooo long ago...lol She did have a big pot belly stove..hey it was a coal mining town...

The only radio I remember was Murray the K...Clay cole...we had an rca victor 9 inch screen tv..the professional fights on Ch9 in NY and Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer..think the dawg's name was Nipper...

Nah, galvanized stock water tank

piejam said:
It's wonderful to be here, it's certainly a thrill
You're such a lovely audience, we'd like to take you home with us
We'd love to take you home with us

I don't really wanna stop the show
But I'd thought you like to know........

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother - they're here. ;-)

Kenny

Wow, can't believe people are still interested in this thread..Thought you would tire of my gabby ways..Ok here's one for ya:

I remember kinder, gentler times..When a stranger would tip his hat to a lady walking down the street..when people treated one another with respect..It wasn't forced just came naturally..When going out to play, the neighbors would keep an eye on you...and report to your parents if you were bad...Heaven help me if I didn't go upstairs to old lady Winkler and ask if she need groceries cause she was getting on in years...When people would say Hello, Please, and Thank you.

This is how I grew up and that's all I'm goin' to say about that....

[quote author="piejam" date="1328932268"
This is how I grew up and that's all I'm goin' to say about that....[/quote]

And metaphorically speaking, a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.

kenny chaos said:
[quote author="piejam" date="1328932268"
This is how I grew up and that's all I'm goin' to say about that....

And metaphorically speaking, a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.[/quote]

In the most delightful way !

Status
Not open for further replies.