Your craziest car story ! Mine was just weird today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

It is under a poor mans fix up so it will last a while longer which means its been on jack stands slowly getting fixed up. I went out to run it for a while to warm it and it turned over then seized or so I thought. My brain couldn't comprehend what was going on and insisted it died. I tried to turn it by hand with a wrench and it wouldn't budge. While the next morning with a more level head I went out and started pulling plugs when I heard a hissssssssss and smelled gas when it occurred to me it vapor locked ! I was not even aware a modern engine could vapor lock. I got back in and vroom away it went purring just fine. I know the older motors could vapor lock but not newer ones !

Pete

I just posted this on facebook- not the craziest, but it happened last night. I do not claim intellect as a strong suit, but I am happy to be pretty easy going.

My plane landed at midnight, i paid the huge sum for parking at Logan for 4 days, but it took me some time to find my car. I arrive to discover that I left my glove box open and killed the battery. I called on the "assistance box" for a jump start which, after more shenanigans, took about an hour. That required another $9 in parking fees upon exit.

I arrive home and realize that I left my interior light on. Fearing a dead battery twice in a day, I open the car door and catch the corner of the door on my eyebrow which produced more of a rip than a thud. A little blood loss later (on the porch, the kitchen floor, etc), my lovely business manager and inspiration had me fixed up.

None of that is really so out of the ordinary for me, and at least I can amuse myself. 2:30-3:00 am is the latest I've been to bed in a long time. My brother suggests telling people that I fended off several neo nazis- zero to hero in no time he says.

My cousin is a year older than me so once he graduated HS, he joined the Army. He was going to be away so he decided to give me his car, a 1984 Ford Tempo. It was a heap of junk, more blue goop than metal on the engine block. It was a 4 speed and since I was really the only one who knew how to drive stick, it was mine.

I drove the car back and forth to college and work for just over 2 years, leaked oil and smelled bad but it ran. One day, coming home from my boyfriend's house in NE Philly, I was sitting at a red light at a very busy intersection when smoke started pouring out of the hood. I pulled into a gas station at the corner and as soon as I got out, it was on fire! The manager of the gas station comes out screaming at me for driving a car that was on fire into a gas station for all of the obvious reasons but I had NO IDEA that it was on fire, just thought it was the radiator or something. Another guy came over with a fire extinguisher and promptly put it out. Mind you, this was 1993, before everyone carried cell phones, so I went to the pay phone and called my dad. I frantically told him where I was and what was happening and he simply said "hang up and run before that damn thing explodes!" We laugh about now, but it wasn't funny at the moment for sure!

I ended up towing it away,it was put out of it's misery but I remember being really mad because I had just had it inspected a few weeks earlier and put in new front brakes and clutch.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Probably none of this is all that crazy but in my 20s I did a lot of silly things to keep old junkers on the road. For most of college I drove a 3 colored '82 Accord... 3 colors because I rear ended somebody in High School and my Dad and I rebuilt the entire front end with junkyard parts. It was a blue car, and we had the frame torched forward of the wheel wells and a new front subframe from a gray one welded on + grey fenders and a maroon hood. I think the bumper was held on with tie wraps.

I remember replacing the fuel pump on that same car outside in a dorm parking lot in a snowstorm so I could drive home for Christmas break.

I also remember babying that car up hills on the highway in 3rd gear when the clutch was slipping and I didn't have the $ for parts....

A few years later when I was gainfully employed but broke from loans and driving another beater - '87 Dodge charger - a cheap plastic ball joint in the shift linkage broke and I rigged it together with tie wraps and drove it 150 miles to my Dad's place. (why I didn't get parts locally and fix it i have no idea).

After that car I upgraded to an '87 Accord. I remember parking that thing on hills for a month when I couldn't get around to replacing a blown starter.

That's just a few of the stories. Most of them involve tie wraps (probably the next most useful thing in the world after duct tape) and many involve bondo. None all that exciting.

I plead the fifth. I didn't do any of them. No pics exist. Well, I guess there is technically a record of being clocked at 137 mph in Texas, but no ticket was issued. The rest are all stories....I swear.

There is a reason why I don't have a motorcycle anymore lol ! I tend to go really fast and not pay attention soooo I banned myself from them for my wife's sake.

Pete

Drove all the way across the country in 1976, from San Francisco, CA to Troy, NY (2938 mi) in a 72 Vega. It was a repo & it was eventually gonna go down to NYC. I, being young, stupid & bulletproof drove the entire way nonstop, other than gas... 56 hours. 20+ cups of coffee. 1 Black Beauty. All the way thru Ohio with my head out the window in a rainstorm, trying to stay awake. Hit a torrential downpour on the NYS thruway about 30 miles from home at about midnight, & started hallucinating from lack of sleep & virtually no visibility... I was driving at 30mph in the passing lane looking at the yellow line for guidance, because I couldn't focus on anything else. An 18-wheeler came up behind me & blasted his air horns & snapped me back to reality. Got within 3 miles of my parents' house, rounded a corner & drove thru a BIG puddle & the Vega died. Wouldn't start. Turned the key - nothing... Here I am at about 2AM, stopped dead, so I walked to a bar, called home & got my dad out of bed. He drove down & got in the car & put it in PARK (doh!) & it started right up. I was so strung out that I never realized that it was still in drive...He didn't talk to me for about a week...

Don't know how crazy this story is, but about 20 years ago I had my Dodge Neon's emissions inspections done. This was before all the computer stuff, they used the tailpipe sensor and such. Passed with flying colors, then drove home on a road a smooth as glass. Promply heard a "thunk", then a loud rumbling. In my rearview mirror I saw my muffler rolling away. It had rusted through, and fell off. So much for State run Vehicle Emission Inspection Programs.

Bought an old pickup as I was leaving hit brakes which promptly spread themselves all over parking lot. Another time crossing railroad tracks, drive shaft separated and jammed into the tracks tearing the rear end out at the horrifing speed of 15 mph. Still have the imprint on my forehead. Delivery truck, alternator went south while on freeway, promptly burst into flames as I drove up exit. Driving down freeway and get passed by 2 semi tire assemblies I was going about 65 and they went past me like i standing still, down hill slope, one set side swiped the whole length of the car. Sometimes ya just can't win.

Nother one. Driving for Ryder Truck Rental back in the late 70s. We used to move trucks all up & down the East Coast. At the beginning & end of the school year, their One-Way Rental units tended to congregate in areas where they weren't needed for most of the year. Plattsburgh, NY is one of those places, because of the college there. Anyway, I was bringing an older Chevy Van from P-burgh to Albany & the engine blew. Piston went right thru the block. It was later towed to a dealer in Albany & had the engine replaced. The following week, I was dropped off at that dealer to bring the van back to the rental place. Unbeknownst to me, the blown block was in the back of the van. I pulled out of the dealer & caught a red light. When I got the green turn arrow, I stepped on the gas & heard a scraping sound & a big CRASH as the back doors where blown open by the engine block. It had slid along the metal floor & blown thru the doors, & landed in the middle of Central Avenue in Albany... In the rear view mirror I could see the look on the face of the driver immediately behind me. His eyes were as big as pie plates! Scared the crap out of him ( & ME!)...Fortunately, the guy who dropped me off saw the whole thing & between the two of us, we managed to get the block back into the van...Needless to say I drove very carefully from that point to my destination...& I did leave a rather large dent in the pavement at that particular intersection.

When I was building my home, I was staying on my grandother's farm with the kids, a few miles away. My sister was there with her family during the summer. One day, when the house was closed in but steps were not built except by the sliding glass door, which cannot be unlocked from the outside,, I drove over with my four year old son and his cousin, about half a year older. Middle of the summer, grass a foot high, mosquitoes bad. So I left the kids in the care, near the house, while I went, climbed on a box to reach and unlock the kitchen door, get in the house, and go round to unlock the sliding glass door. Look out the door as I am unlocking it, and my three year old son son is lstanding up in the driver's seat, big grin on his face, driving the car straight for the top of the cliff. Cathy is jumping up and down in the back seat cheering him on. I think I broke every sprint record in the world...don't know how I got to the car before the car got to the cliff.. I have not left keys in a car since.

VERY trepeditiously went to tell my sister what an @ss I had been, leaving the keys in the car, and how regretful I was I had put her child at risk. She cooly told me, "I didn't want to tell you, but last week I went into the village to get the babysitter, had all six kids in the station wagon. Hadn't slept and was exhausted. Got out of the car to open the gate, drove through, got out of the car to close the gate, and heard the babysitter, who was in the back seat, calling, 'Mrs. Cleary, Mrs. Cleary!'. Turned around, and saw the car driving off. I had left the keys in the ignition and the car in drive." My three kids were in that car, and neither they nor she had told me!

We were very fortunate the children were alright both times.

And thus starts the saga of automobile/kay adventures with my children. Will post a second adventure later. I think I could write a book about stories revolving around our cars.

During Hurricane Sandy I was running the wheels off of my poor GMC Canyon. I pulled into a gas station in town and shut it down. Filled the tank and hit the key, cranking, more cranking, lots more cranking, no fire. "Oh c'mon baby, not here, not today......" (Truck has been rock solid reliable to date) Some quick underhood checks (Fuses, relays, fuel pump running?, etc.....) and still no fire. Wiggled some wiring harnesses and still nothing. Almost ready to throw in the towel and call for a tow, said "what the hell..." and tried it one more time..... Fired like nothing was ever wrong and away we went.

Guess she was tired!

My FIL had just gotten married to his new Wife, and needed a ride to the airport to go on the honeymoon.....the Wife and I hired a limo as a surprise.....8am that morning, 9 inches of fresh snow on the ground, the limo calls us and sez he can't make it......so, the Wife and I hop in my Chevy Blazer and head out to pick up the FIL when we see the limo in a local parking lot.....we told him "no worries, we got 4wd and will get it done".....with that, I throw it in reverse, fly backward to spin it around like a stunt car driver, and BANG........slammed into the only freakin' lamp post in a 200 car parking lot.....needless to say, Wife was a little upset, I was a little embarrassed.....$5,000 damage to the back end, but did get them to the airport on time.

Them light poles are faster than a neutron trying to avoid the big bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.