your thoughts on this used Oslo f500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullystull

Feeling the Heat
May 7, 2008
WV Mountains
I have come across this used Jotul F500 for sale here locally. The asking price is $1200. It is 5 years old, appears to be in good shape and even looks as if it was used minimally. Everything is in working order. Is it worth it or should I just bite the bullet on a new one and take advantage of the tax credit?

Attachments

• f500.JPG
    f500.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 369
The new matte black lists for $1965 tax credit will bring it down to $1375.50
Add your sales tax & you make the call...
New unit with warranty or $300 less for an unknown critter...
Seems a no-brainer to me...

Why not buy that one and use the tax credit? The bill doesn't state the stove needs to be brand new. Offer $900, tell him you can get a new one for a few hundred more with the tax credit.

I was under the impression the credit was only good for a new purchase? Any thoughts?

What you need for the tax credit is a receipt showing when you bought the stove and a printed copy of the eligibility certificate for it which you can print off of Jotul's website. The word new ain't nowhere in the bill authorizing the tax credit. Dealers would of course like for you to think it is.

Talk to your tax guy.

BrotherBart said:
What you need for the tax credit is a receipt showing when you bought the stove and a printed copy of the eligibility certificate for it which you can print off of Jotul's website. The word new ain't nowhere in the bill authorizing the tax credit. Dealers would of course like for you to think it is.

Talk to your tax guy.
Does the receipt need to be a notarized bill of sale or will anything work?

Just a dated receipt from the guy that sold the stove. Make sure that is lists it as a Jotul Oslo F500. I haven't seen a notarized bill of sale for anything in 25 years.

Disclaimer: This tax advice was given by some unknown guy on the Internet and is worth every dollar paid for it.

BrotherBart said:
Just a dated receipt from the guy that sold the stove. Make sure that is lists it as a Jotul Oslo F500. I haven't seen a notarized bill of sale for anything in 25 years.

Disclaimer: This tax advice was given by some unknown guy on the Internet and is worth every dollar paid for it.
Funny...oddly enough though, I trust your info more than the guy I pay good money for to do my taxes :)

sullystull said:
BrotherBart said:

Funny...oddly enough though, I trust your info more than the guy I pay good money for to do my taxes :)

I wish the people did back when I was doing tax returns. They always insisted that Uncle Charley did it so they should be able to also. I got sick of that stuff and quit doing returns a long time ago. I would go to jail. Not Uncle Charley.

Depending on how the baffle and inside looks (the fact that this guy took the time to clean out the stove is good at least) I would take Todd's advice and see if he bites . . . and if he does take advantage of the tax credit. It's still not a bad deal if you factor in the tax credit, but it would be a better deal if you could get the price down some.

Status
Not open for further replies.