ZC Fireplace or Free Standing Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JChurch

Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Thanks for any feedback you offer. I recently removed my zero clearance decorative fireplace and am now left with an opening. I thought I knew what I could install, but it seems like I will be limited due to clearances and lack of a masonry fireplace. I suppose I’ll have to install ZC high efficiency fireplace, but I would rather have a free standing stove. Would I be able to install a
free standing stove by installing a non-combustible heat shield around the interior of the chase area and added floor protection? See the picture to get an idea of what I have in the existing space now.

Attachments

• 19D2E77E-9842-4949-85FF-73ADE5618BDE.jpeg
    19D2E77E-9842-4949-85FF-73ADE5618BDE.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 66909576-7991-4EC9-8F5B-BE59D6EB9B3A.jpeg
    66909576-7991-4EC9-8F5B-BE59D6EB9B3A.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 121
Really guys, 70 some views and not one offer of advice? Well here goes. I had exactly what you have JChurch, an old low clearance fireplace that created no heat whatsoever, and had a wooden chase. What you are going to run into is clearance to combustibles issues. What I did was to open mine up further to create an alcove that provided the proper height for clearance to combustibles. Then I looked for a stove that had low clearance to combustibles, in my case that was a Pacific Energy Summit, free standing steel wood stove. It throws a ton of heat and has awesome burn times. Hopefully others will chime in, but if they don't, PM me directly and I can show you pictures of my install.

What type of chimney is presently installed. If thats a class A chimney Id do what the guy did that first posted. A nice big alcove would be cool, except Ashful will get you on a patent infringment

Reactions: JChurch
What type of chimney is presently installed. If thats a class A chimney Id do what the guy did that first posted. A nice big alcove would be cool, except Ashful will get you on a patent infringment
It looks like an air cooled stack for a zc. Not adequate for a stove

Yes, the chimney will need to be replaced with class A chimney. That can be done. @JChurch can we get some dimensions for the current cavity's full width and depth?

PS: Thanks for catching this sodbuster.

Reactions: JChurch
Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. Since I first posted, I've learned a little more about the setup I had. bholler is correct, I will need to replace my current Vent with Class A and am looking around at different options. begreen, the current dimension of the cavity are 7' wide x 21" deep (so I think it is fairly narrow in terms of depth). I planning on a heat shield with the 1" air gap, adding floor protection, and and checking to see if I have adequate space (and removing wall material if needed) for the reduced clearances listed for a Lopi Endeavor or Liberty free standing wood stove. I have 1500 sq ft downstails that I'd like to heat in a semi-open floor plan, but am also afraid I will lose some heat up a nearby stair well that is open.

Seven feet wide is huge. That provides lots of wiggle room. You may not need any wall shielding. The Endeavor is a good workhorse and time proven stove. with close clearances if it is connected with double-wall stove pipe. The blower will help circulate the heat into the room.

Looking at the picture again it looks like the 7' may have been a typo. Does the chase for the old fireplace bump out into the room? Can you post a further back picture that shows the whole area and maybe include the nearby staircase?