ZC Heatilator to Pellet Stove Alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Banjoman1

Aug 23, 2020
TN
Guys,

Long time lurker but thought I would post my conundrum to see if there is a solution to what I'm thinking. Currently I have a Heatilator (wood burner) ZC in my circa 93' house we bought a year ago. I'd really like to remove the ZC fireplace and install either a zero clearance pellet insert or even move away completely from that and install a free-standing Harman Allure 50. I know the second option may require more work but thoughts are I will get better heat and still retain a fireplace look with installing fireproofing materials and maybe even bricking in the interior and utilizing the existing space for ventilation through to the chimney top.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. So far I am sold on either the Harman Allure 50 or the Accentra 52 TC. If anyone has done something similiar please feel free to link pictures or some tips and tricks.

Oh and for the freestanding unit I was thinking of just placing the freestanding stove within the cavity where the ZC insert was and modifying the framing to make clearance for it,

I remove my ZC made the space look like a fireplace and installed a free standing Enviro
Did that in 2002 and it still looks good Pellet 01.jpgPellet 02.jpg

Attachments

• Pellet 01.jpg
    Pellet 01.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 123
Looks good anything you would change?
As I got older I got a little bigger so maybe a little more clearance
The clearances on the stove as it is now are double what is called for

Reactions: Banjoman1