ZC HIGH EFFICIENCY FIREPLACE INFO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southernheat

Sep 21, 2015
Georgia
So I have poured over this website, through countless forums and threads. I hate to be redundant but I don't know if there is a way around it. As I said, I've researched out the wazoo and as soon I feel "OK, that's it! THIS is THE one!" and I'm not talking about my husband here, I find another object of desire to swoon me. So if y'all can bear with me I'd appreciate it! (After all I feel like I know some of y'all personally after reading all your threads!)
We are building a home, 2000 sf- open floor plan with just 2 bedrooms and a bathroom up. 9 ft ceilings. We will not be having a masonry fireplace just the needed chimney pipe. I'm in middle GA so not many blizzards around here. I will be burning mainly oak & hickory. My priorities for a fireplace are:
1. large Viewing area (22"+ wide/ 2' log) 2. efficiency 3. true 8+ hr burn time

I'm not too worried about the Pos Pressure systems as I will have a chimney that runs through the middle of the house that will go through the 2nd story- next to a hall and a bedroom. And obviously, I don't live in a very cold climate. I also will like to every once in a while have the doors open to make smores or listen to the blazing fire.

I'm not saying money is no object, but if I have to pay a little extra to get what I'm going to be enjoying for many years to come then I'm okay with that.. And the hubby will be too...So with that being said, these are the fireplaces that I've flipped and flopped on!

1. FPX 36 elite- really like the look and the view of the fire
2. Heatilator Constitution
3. Quadrafire 7100
4. Superior/BIS Tradition/Monticeto

If you have a positive or a REAL negative point that you could use to sway me to or fro any of these appliances above I'd appreciate it. I don't want to consider any other stove.... I've probably looked at all the major ones already anyways. I have to make a decision and I'm tired of being glued to this laptop. Ready to take a jump and get it done!

Thanks Y'all!

Southern Heat

I have heard good things about the quad 7100,not sure about the others.I live close to a big quadrafire dealer that sells quite a few of these.Im sure the others are fine but the quad would be the pic.

There is a quite a difference in the size of those units. I would think getting consistent 8 hour burns out of the Monticeto at 2.0 ft3 (or maybe you mean the Estate at 4.0 ft3) and the Heatilator (2.7 ft3) will be very difficult even with your hardwoods. The FPX and the 7100 will probably give you the best chance since they have about a three and half cubic foot firebox. Your hardwoods will help. I have the larger FPX 44 and I think about 8 hrs is close to the best that can be done from a practical standpoint. The 7100 is probably a little better, but do not believe the 16 hour burn times they state.

I like the FPX. It is a solid heavy unit with a very high capacity blower that pours out a lot of hot air like a furnace. I especially like the remote blower option on the FPX because you can run it on high and it is very quiet being up in the attic. With your interior location with a 2nd story above it, you may have a problem routing the cooling air ducts to an outside air source and stay within the distance limitations. You would need to discuss that with the dealer/installer. The only other potential dislikes that I know of would be the catalytic combustor (eventual replacement costs) and the inability to run on low without blackening the doors quickly (daily cleaning), I generally just run mine on high and cycle it on and off to control the heat when the demand is low.

I will say that any of the larger units are likely to produce far more heat than you will want much of the time. I think you find yourself batch firing it on and off with smaller loads.

Otherwise I think all of the units you have listed will work. I believe the Monticeto is now part of Astria (My only reservation with that unit is that it seems to be constantly changing hands and the potential long term support issues). Superior has its own line of fireplaces that look very nice as well.

There is a quite a difference in the size of those units. I would think getting consistent 8 hour burns out of the Monticeto at 2.0 ft3 (or maybe you mean the Estate at 4.0 ft3) and the Heatilator (2.7 ft3) will be very difficult even with your hardwoods. The FPX and the 7100 will probably give you the best chance since they have about a three and half cubic foot firebox. Your hardwoods will help. I have the larger FPX 44 and I think about 8 hrs is close to the best that can be done from a practical standpoint. The 7100 is probably a little better, but do not believe the 16 hour burn times they state.

I like the FPX. It is a solid heavy unit with a very high capacity blower that pours out a lot of hot air like a furnace. I especially like the remote blower option on the FPX because you can run it on high and it is very quiet being up in the attic. With your interior location with a 2nd story above it, you may have a problem routing the cooling air ducts to an outside air source and stay within the distance limitations. You would need to discuss that with the dealer/installer. The only other potential dislikes that I know of would be the catalytic combustor (eventual replacement costs) and the inability to run on low without blackening the doors quickly (daily cleaning), I generally just run mine on high and cycle it on and off to control the heat when the demand is low.

I will say that any of the larger units are likely to produce far more heat than you will want much of the time. I think you find yourself batch firing it on and off with smaller loads.

Otherwise I think all of the units you have listed will work. I believe the Monticeto is now part of Astria (My only reservation with that unit is that it seems to be constantly changing hands and the potential long term support issues). Superior has its own line of fireplaces that look very nice as well.
How well do ya like your ashford 30?I live that enamel coated option.I have considered the quadrafire explorer or the blaze king ashford 30 for our new house.What type of burn times are ya getting?

Hello Southern Heat.

I can add some info to this discussion since I too will be purchasing a zero clearance FP.

(1) Heatilator - Constitution
(2) Heat & Glo - Northstar
(3) Quadra-Fire - 7100

The above three ZC units are all produced by the same company - Hearth and Home Technologies (HHT). They are virtually the same unit with different aesthetics. I called the company to confirm this. Further, you can see their websites are virtually identical in layout and current $100 promo special. The one minor difference in the models is the 7100 has a larger load capacity versus the oth two models (3.4 vs 2.7 cubic feet).

All three models get rather good reviews / feedback from Hearth members - I haven't found anything truly negative about the units, except they're super heavy and difficult to move - but that's a positive in my book!

People like their FPX ZC units as well. So as another member said, I think it boils down to looks and of course Catalytic technology (FPX) versus Non-Catalytic (HHT models).

Please let us know what you decide - I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two companies. I hope this helps.

Matt

How well do ya like your ashford 30?I live that enamel coated option.I have considered the quadrafire explorer or the blaze king ashford 30 for our new house.What type of burn times are ya getting?
I load my Ashford 30 morning and night and it never goes inactive on that cycle. I believe I could get 15-16 hours if I tried, but there is no advantage. I burn mostly beetle-killed lodge pole pine from 9000 ft elevation which makes it very dry and light and I think this is largely responsible for the shorter burn times. I say this because it puts out a very nice even low heat in a relatively small downstairs half basement without raising the temperatures to uncomfortable levels. I run only on the minimum setting. It could not be any easier to operate. Just go by the temperature probe. I think its a great stove, especially if you need a low controlled output. I also have the enamel finish. It is a nice durable finish that does not attract dust. Not too overly red.

Apologies to Southern Heat - hopefully back to fireplaces

No problem Isaiah. Always something to learn!
Thanks everyone for your input! I've been working a lot so haven't had a chance to do much in regards to this. Still leaning toward the fpx 36 elite. I'm hoping the guy that my builder uses for all this can get it for a contractor's price. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. If he can't get me a decent deal on it and pass a few bucks in discounts on to me then I don't know what I'll do- I guess see what the price difference is or see what I could get through a local dealer. I'll let y'all know! I'm definitely interested the fpx ability for a remote blower. How far away can the blower be from the unit? Does it run underneath the flooring or through the wall joists? Thanks again for the info! It was quite chilly here (60 ::F::-)) almost ready for a fire!

View attachment 162493 The 2 cooling air ducts and the air supply are 6" in diameter on the FPX, so you cannot run them inside standard walls. The air supply from the blower can be up to 25 ft if you increase the diameter to 8", so it should not be a problem. It can just follow the chimney up into the attic, or it could go between the floor joists to an outside wall. The moe difficult problem are the two cooling air ducts that can only have a maximum allowable vertical rise of 10ft. This restriction requires you to either take it up in between the floor joists above, and then run horizontally out to the side of the house, or go down into a crawl space or basement and then out. I am assuming your house is probably on a slab so going down will not be an option. If the floor joists are arranged so that you can run in-between them to the outside wall, then you should be OK, but if you have to cross them it will be an issue because they are too large in diameter to just bore through. You can certainly still meet these requirements with an internal chase for the ducts, but this costs you floor space and or aesthetics of the room with a chase running along the ceiling. The vent pipe is discussed on page 13 of the installation manual.

http://www.fireplacex.com/TravisDocs/93508090.pdf

Attached is a picture of my installation. The pipe on the far left is my stove chimney from below. The far right is the air supply. The cooling air ducts are on the corners, with the large diameter chimney in the center.

Attachments

• IMG_6180 (2).jpg
    IMG_6180 (2).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.