ZC lennox montecito fan/blower question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Qtrhorse

Nov 30, 2020
Kentucky
Long time lurker first time poster. So I have a Lennox Montecito zc fireplace, its about 9 years old. The blower/fan is hooked up so I can turn it off/on with a light switch, but my question is can I install a light dimmer switch to control the speed of the fan or does this particular model even have a variable speed motor? When the blower kicks on once temp of fireplace is achieved it can be a bit loud since the fireplace is in our family room where we watch tv and such. I would like to be able to turn the speed of the blower down during the times we are using the room but turn the speed up when room is not in use for the nights. Thank you for any replies and help.

I'd put a rheostat in place of the switch
& see what happens.
You've gotten 9 years out of that unit,
so why not? A lot blowers ARE controlled
by rheostats...

If you try this use a bathroom fan blower speed control instead of a light dimmer. A light dimmer reduces voltage which can overheat the motor. A Broan fan control is about $10.

Reactions: DAKSY