Zero Clearance Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trekker

Jan 8, 2008
NW Ohio
Is there a company that sells a zero clearance box that can be installed after removal of a heatilator and then fitted with a wood burning insert. I've been stumped trying to find an insert that will work with my heatilator due to size, and weight issues. Now I'm convinced I need to either find an empty ZC box(for an insert), or build a new firebox(with insert) to replace the heatilator. I live in a woods, and need to find a way to utilize my free fuel source. I live in a tri level, so the different level ceilings kinda rule out a freestander. I had a Central Boiler dealer come out, and give me a qoute but he was way high. My options are thinning quickly. Thanks for all the help so far.

The Saga continues.

Why would you want an insert if you rip the whole thing out? Get a built-in unit

http://quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=7100fp

If your Heatilator box uses SL300 series venting you might be able to tear it out and save the pipe in the walls, then hook the 7100FP or Heat & Glo Northstar to the same vent because it also uses SL300. We have done this a few times in the past and it works pretty well. Saves the customer a lot of money because the chimney can be expensive.

Edit: I just downloaded the manual for the EL42 and it uses SL300 pipe.

Hey that answers my questions on the other thread!
That 7100 should be an awesome unit.
Are people generally happy with it?

They are EPA certified, with controlled primary air and secondary combustion chambers. They are really just modern wood stoves inside an insulated metal box, same as an insert but made to go next to framing. They only look like fireplaces. There are lots of models and lots of threads on here about EPA ZC units.

velvetfoot said:

No one around here ever complains about the 7100 or Northstar unless they aren't using it right, then I go set them straight. We install probably on average 2 a month for the last couple of years.

Yeap they do, look at the pictures on the site.

velvetfoot said:

velvet I love mine. ping me if you have any questions, i also have a lot of posts on it and pictures, just do a search.

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.