zero clearance fire place rip out ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
i am taking it out and closing the wall. the fireplace has a box built around it on the outside of the house> what would be the best way to take the fireplace out ? thanks in advance, if needed i can post pics

I think that pics would help here but this "sounds pretty similar" (famous last words haha) to what we did when we removed our ZC factory-built-fireplace in preparation for putting our stove in. First you will either have to remove the chimney or loosen the chimney from the fireplace. It likely will be better to remove it from the front as opposed to from the rear for a few reasons (shape and size of fireplace, not having to go through siding and sheathing, etc). Again I think that pics would help but you're better off to cut the interior drywall slightly larger than the fireplace, remove the fireplace, correctly finish all framing there and then replace the drywall. If you take your time and carefully cut the drywall straight and square replacing it is super simple. Hope that helps.

We knew the location of the electrical, so we demo-ed the drywall/framing that was not needed.

The chimney assembly was locked to the zc by some sort of tab arrangement. We popped the tabs out of their slots. I used the reciprocating saw to cut the exterior bottom section of the chimney from joint to fireplace. Then we removed that section to get to the inner tubes. In our case the smoke tube was not attached to the surrounding chimney, so we pulled the smoke tube from the top.

We got the zc on a hand truck and rolled it out the door. Ours was 48" wide and double side, but it was manageable from a weight point of view for two of us. We had positioned some material on the roof to make the hole rain tight.

In our case, the next day we installed a new double wall stainless and sealed everything up. Good thing, because a thunderstorm hit just as we finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.