Zero Clearance Fireplace and outside air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Abchoppers

Nov 17, 2019
Ny
Hi all, My home has a zero clearance fireplace installed. There is a vinyl sided chimney chase outside which has a vent that is connected somewhere to the fireplace. I always had a very cold draft in winter months coming through the bottom louvers of the fireplace. I recently put insulation over the outside air vent and that eliminated the draft inside.
So my question is, does a zero clearance have to have an outside air intake? Is it for safety to keep the area surrounding the fireplace cavity cool, or is just to feed the fire more air?

thank you

It depends on the fireplace. Many need an outside air connection. What does the manual say?

I don’t have a manual or know the model, we just moved into the home. So there must be a way to keep the draft out when not in use, but able to open the draft when needed. Do they sell an electronic auto damper for it maybe?
Thanks

Thank you, house was built in 2005
D77A4C40-8146-4F97-B62A-974BD35EA40B.jpeg

Open the doors and look in the door channel for a metal ID tag.

I didn’t find a tag but you inadvertently solved my problem! I opened the glass doors and found a damper lever that closes off the outside air. So I assume it works just like a damper on a wood stove. I was able to see a tag on the inside that said hearth and home company. I’ll do some research on them since I’ve never heard of them.
Thanks all for the help

Attachments

• 36C6D521-B45C-4F49-99A4-D436A46EDC03.jpeg
    36C6D521-B45C-4F49-99A4-D436A46EDC03.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 141
Good find! HHT is one of the biggest in the industry. Most likely this is a Majestic or Heatilator brand fireplace.