zero clearance high efficiency fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulski

Sep 4, 2008
Eatern Long Island
Will a zero clearance high efficiency fireplaces heat a 1500 square foot home? How much do they cost?
I have no fireplace at all and maybe the footprint of my present stove is too big.

Can a single masonary fireplace heat a home by itself? Are there designs that are more efficient to keep the heat in the home?

http://quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=7100fp

That would do, you could prob get it up to 90 in there with that. There are MANY others from every brand out there.

Masonry fireplaces are typically energy wasters. There are masonry "heaters" but I do not know much about them. There have a been quite a few posts about them on here in the past.

My house is 3000 sq/ft. I heat it with a zc napoleon nz6000. I can get it up to 80 degrees but it will burn a lot of wood doing it. It has a big firebox. probably biggest made. Great blower very quiet. moves lots of air. glass gets gunked up early because it is so hard getting the temp above 350 with that size firebox.

I just installed an RSF Opel II myself with the help and advice from the folks on this forum and from tech support at RSF. My house is around 2800 sq feet. I haven't finished closing up the framing around the Opel yet, but i already started burning, and it easily heats my whole house. We had a mild day today, so I finished installing a gravity vent kit, and i will try to close off the framing tomorrow if the family doesn't pester me too much. I am really pleased with the zc. It was a no-brainer for me since we already had a chase and old heatilator that I ripped out, and only having one hot side to worry about with the kids makes things that much easier for us. If I had to do things again, I might have gone for a kozy heat Z42 as it takes 6" chimney (less $$) and 22" logs, but I am really pleased with this unit thus far...(and there's no way I'm redoing it all ;)

My top 2 choices for a ZC would be a Kozy Heat or an RSF Opel. looks like you can get a Kozy Heat Z42 for $2200 plus shipping from

http://www.djsonline.com/kozyheatz42_pricing&accesssories;.htm

You can then figure on at least $1000 for chimney, etc. Just ballpark...all depends on your setup....

Status
Not open for further replies.