Zero clearance vs New Aire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ks_muley

Nov 19, 2023
Missouri
I've been doing some research but it seems like I leave myself more unsure. We are building and unsure which way to go. I'm used to the traditional New Aire style but I don't have a clue about how well a zero clearance will heat without ducting it in. Which we prefer not to do. The zero clearance we was looking at is the Valcourt Waterloo. We plan on burning alot since we have land with alot of timber. I just don't know to go zero clearance or a New Aire.

Tell us more about the house. One story or two? Open floorplan or several rooms with doorways between them. Will the fireplace be central to the floorplan?

The Valourt Waterloo is an EPA ZC fireplace that is fairly efficient. The NewAire is an old school convective fireplace of lower efficiency and more polluting. Both will heat though the Valcourt will send less heat up the chimney and will consume less wood. Both will require fully seasoned wood to burn optimally.

If the fireplace will be a primary source of heat with 24/7 burning then a deeper firebox, N/S loading fireplace like the Pacific Energy FP 30 may be preferable with fuller loading capacity.

We are single level just under 2800 sq ft. Open living room and kitchen the 3 bedrooms are a little off the main living area. Fireplace is on the opposite side of house as 2 of the bedrooms. I plan to use fireplace for main heat and supplement with propane heat. I think the Waterloo we was looking at was around 4 cubic ft. New Aires shop is within 10 mins of where we are building. I'm open to either way. Never experiencing a ZC idk how happy I'd be with it

If possible, ducting the fireplace may be beneficial for heat distribution. For certain plan on a ceiling fan or two in the fireplace room, especially if it has a high ceiling.
There's some recent info on Valcourts in the SBI forum that may be helpful. Here's one. Search on Valcourt for others.

I'm a little confused the FP30 show a 3cu ft firebox and the Waterloo fp15a is just over 4. Will the fp30 really burn hotter?