Zero Clearance Wood Burning Insert in New Construction Home - Morso 5660 Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mookie

Mar 16, 2020
Winston Salem, NC
I'm building a new home and we've spec'd out the 5660 and the zero enclosure unit. Framing is complete (pic below shows the framed out space for the zero enclosure unit on the left and a framed wood storage box on the right). We already have the 5660 unit in hand but Morso doesn't have epa approvals for the 5660 zero enclosure box and doesn't sound like they will get them until the end of summer. What are my options to build out something that meets code to house the insert? Is there a way to site-build a "masonry fireplace" that meets code for the 5660 but isn't a full blown floor to ceiling fireplace? Or other options that folks can recommend? Can we build just a block wall to house it? Morso's specs say the insert has to either be installed into "an existing masonry fireplace" or the zero enclosure unit. Hearthlink didn't have any advice beyond talking to our local inspectors, and I don't want to do that until I know what I want to pitch them on...

1584381537471.png

I'm building a new home and we've spec'd out the 5660 and the zero enclosure unit. Framing is complete (pic below shows the framed out space for the zero enclosure unit on the left and a framed wood storage box on the right). We already have the 5660 unit in hand but Morso doesn't have epa approvals for the 5660 zero enclosure box and doesn't sound like they will get them until the end of summer. What are my options to build out something that meets code to house the insert? Is there a way to site-build a "masonry fireplace" that meets code for the 5660 but isn't a full blown floor to ceiling fireplace? Or other options that folks can recommend? Can we build just a block wall to house it? Morso's specs say the insert has to either be installed into "an existing masonry fireplace" or the zero enclosure unit. Hearthlink didn't have any advice beyond talking to our local inspectors, and I don't want to do that until I know what I want to pitch them on...

View attachment 258273
You will either have to build a full masonry firebox and smoke chamber of sorts or wait for the zero clearance box. Do they not have any pre 2020 ones available?

You will either have to build a full masonry firebox and smoke chamber of sorts or wait for the zero clearance box. Do they not have any pre 2020 ones available?
Thanks. Yeah, nobody has any of the boxes leftover. So a "full masonry firebox" - are there county by county versions of what meets code for that? Or other resources where my builder and I can review our possibilities? We'd obviously want to do as modest a version of that as we can consistent with what's safe before we can transition to the class A pipe...

Thanks. Yeah, nobody has any of the boxes leftover. So a "full masonry firebox" - are there county by county versions of what meets code for that? Or other resources where my builder and I can review our possibilities? We'd obviously want to do as modest a version of that as we can consistent with what's safe before we can transition to the class A pipe...
The requirements are spelled out pretty well in IRC chapter 10.

I would just leave that section unfinished and stick with the plan. It looks like there is plenty of other work to do.

I would just leave that section unfinished and stick with the plan. It looks like there is plenty of other work to do.
Ha. Yes, still lots to do. But should be done by early summer, and they don't know when the boxes will be ready to ship. Might not even be this year...

I talked with a Hearthlink rep today and he said we could frame out the enclosure box with metal studs/brackets and that meets code. We'll confirm that with our inspector and I'll update with an answer...

Ha. Yes, still lots to do. But should be done by early summer, and they don't know when the boxes will be ready to ship. Might not even be this year...

I talked with a Hearthlink rep today and he said we could frame out the enclosure box with metal studs/brackets and that meets code. We'll confirm that with our inspector and I'll update with an answer...
Does it say you can do that in the morso manual? If not are the people at hearth link authorized to alter the ul approved manual?