Zone valve and automag wiring questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I'm almost finished installing my Tarm and have a couple simple wiring questions. First, I need to connect my Automag to a transformer and want to make sure I have it right. I assume I connect the red (fuse) wire to the Load/R terminal on the 24v side and the white wire to the NEC/C side. Second, I need to connect the zone valve to the BLT panel I purchased from Bioheat USA. The zone valve has 5 screw terminals. The three that I believe are meaningful are labeled TR/TH, TH and TR. Since I am not using a thermostat, but rather am simply going to the control panel should I just use the TR/TH and TR terminals? Also, does it matter which wires (i.e. red or white) connect to which terminals on the zone valve and BLT terminal strip?

Thanks for your help.

Any thoughts on these questions? These are the last two items I need to complete my install and am hoping for a test fire by Thanksgiving.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the Bioheat BLT panel, but the polarity really doesn't matter, thermostats are 24 volt AC. I'm assuming that you are just using the 24 volt step down transformer in the BLT panel for power for the automag valve.

Actually, I'm using a separate transformer for the automag. It has a "Load/R" terminal and "NEC/C" terminal. Are you suggesting 24 volt wiring is indifferent as to which wire goes where? Would the same then apply to the zone valve?

The automag dosen't care which way you hook it up. There is a rectifier on the red wire anyway which will make it DC so it can energize the coil.
Don't know about the other issue.

Greg

I am not familiar with the BLT panel , but as far as the zone valve 24 volts between tr and th should open the valve. Two of the terminals should be
an "end switch" which closes on valve opening and can be used to turn a pump on when zone valve opens. Sounds like you may not need those terminals.

If you have a link to the BLT panel I may be able to help with that but a quick search turned up no instructions or schematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.