“Flame Dip”, and how high is enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
(A) Just an observation, and likely my Harman Accentra insert has always done this — but, I notice, about 1/2 hour after light-off, the flame level drops quite a bit (but never goes out) for a bit (I do not time it, but perhaps for about 15-20 minutes), then returns to normal. I would suspect this might be because I’m running on Room Temp (yeah, I know, perhaps some day I might experiment with trying to route a line for an external thermostat) and after 1/2 hour the temp inside the unit is high enough to signal dialing back the feed significantly. True? Is this normal?

(B) Well, after various discussions here, I am convinced I need to avoid burning consistently at a low flame level, so I have increased the temp setting to just under 3-1/2. Yes, the flame is higher now. For a point of reference, I’ll refer to the East-West line on the “Medallion” ornament inside — let’s call that the Equator. Previously, the Equator was probably as high as the flame tips ever got. Now, at the higher setting, the flame tips almost always are at or above the Equator, varying up to a max of "at the top of the glass" (kinda hard to see once they get above there). So, now I wonder if I am burning sufficiently hot enough to prevent build-ups, etc. I’d think that an actual temp reading would be more definitive.

It’ll drop between auger cycles with the communication between the temp probe and the ESP, totally normal

Normal,especially on a cold start. When fist starting, combustion fan is full speed.After start up times out, exhaust probe comes into play, combustion fan usually slows a bit. Then,when probe sees a certain temp, things go full bore, although combustion fan can change speeds a bit,people rarely notice. If you have outside air, the duration may be longer.Also, having a lot of cast, Accentras draft increases,after stove gets hot, which takes a while.
If your flames were that low,you now should realize more useable heat,and a cleaner stove! Top of glass to even "would hit top of stove" if flames did not roll forward, are normal for a running properly Harman.
The only issue you could have is too much heat,if stove is in too small a room/space. Sometimes happens with P series stoves.

Reactions: Washed-Up