1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

07 Englander 25-PDVC Ignitor not lighting pellets! Cap On or Cap off?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

After fixing up this bad boy, I turned it on. Pellets were spitting out, the ignitor was red hot but No fire! :-(

I even put in a new ignitor and still no lite! :-(

I tried adjusting it but could not seem to get it right, looking at it from the burn box above the wear plate, the adjustment was way off! I could only see half the ignitor tip!

Finally I removed the burn box and found that there was very little left to the Lytherm gasket.

Then I could really see how far off the ignitor was! Also it was much easier to turn and assure it was in the center of the hole!

Then I cut a new gasket cleaned all the rust and gave it a good coat of Dry Moly spray!

Bingo, the pellets lit in 5 mins. with the cap or hole plug off the ignitor tube. That seemed to be better.

My question is:
    Should this cap or hole plug be On or Off?

Pic 1 - Ignitor tube with cap on top left
    Pic 2 - Cap on bench
    Pic 3 - Cap off Ignitor tube allowing more air for ignitor.
    Pic 4 - Ignitor works fine on bench
    Pic 5 - tip of Ignitor shown from front with alignment way off - see lower left half of it!
    Pic 6 - Ignitor with burn pot out of stove. Ignitor is touching the side of the tube. That's a No No !
    Pic 7 - Tracing a new Lytherm burn pot gasket
    Pic 8 - Gasket fits back of burn pot
    Pic 9 - Ignitor alignment is now spot on! In exact center of tube and hole
    Pic 10 - Fire ! ! !

Click on pic to enlarge:

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    I don't know this stove but just from the pics the ignitor does not look like it even touches the pellets in the burn pot. Could be the way the pic is taken but is that the way it is suppose to seat? As far as he cap goes, must be a reason for it being there so I would leave it in.
  3. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hi Maralias
    Thanks for your reply. No the ignitor should not touch the pellets, the super heated air lights the pellets on fire. According to England Stove Works the ignitor should be back approx 1/8" to 1/4" from the hole so the air can circulate around the tip.

I worked on an old 25-PDV a while back and Englander told me to take the rubber hose off the ignitor tube that tried to deliver air from the air inlet pipe. This is why I posed this question. It looks like there is a built in air tube that pulls air from the intake air tube on the bottom of the ignitor tube. However this may be the same case where more air from the top will help lite the pellets faster. Englander knows best but thought someone with this stove ran into the same case?

I also know that these little designs change depending upon the year of the stove too.
  4. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Nice photos! Now I understand how Englanders are laid out, a bit better.
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    You are welcome, the new burn pot gasket makes it burn better too.
  6. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Thanks Don. I just love learning new stuff about pellet stoves. Your posts are so helpful and easy for a novice like me to understand. I have already used your gasket template you posted a while back on my CB1200i and it works great. Hope you get the answer you are looking for.
  7. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Great closeups Don . Image 0559 shows the large hole in the burnpot under the burnplate to be full of ashes.
  8. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    That is the air inlet pipe. Look closer, it is not full of ashes just dark inside.
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

Sure looks like ashes to me.....the hole on the left side.
  10. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    That air channel left unattended can fill up with ashes and block all the air holes in the side of the burnpot
    You have a choice Don, either admit to it and acknowledge your failure to clean it , or suffer the wrath of us forum police who will nit pik your usually informative posts to death.
  11. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
  12. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I got an answer on the cap on-off.

The top ignitor tube hole is there in order to drill the hole on the other side of the ignitor in the bottom of the tube into the fresh air intake tube. This was done when the stove was being built and then the top hole was capped off.

If the bottom hole becomes blocked, the cap and the ignitor must be removed to clean out the bottom hole. Some stoves may light better with the cap off and some with the cap on. That is the answer, clean the bottom hole and then try it both ways.
    mralias likes this.