1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

075 Stihl

Post in 'The Gear' started by thewoodlands, Apr 16, 2012.

1. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yes you could........Some of the best deals on the best saws I have seen! Good for you Zap, should make a castle instead of a cabin. ;)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bocefus78

Bocefus78 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside Indy
    WOW! Holy saw score batman! Now you need a couple more alaskan's and a couple other people to push those things thru some wood! Can you imagine the sound of all three of those things wide open for hours at a time?!?! :eek: Soon Zap is going to be looking at a kiln! :cool:
    smokinj likes this.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Bocefus, I'll be happier once they have gone thru the saw (075) then call me telling me everything is fine. Looks like this weekend will be a raining one, the forecast is for 2-4 inches so that will cancel any milling.

All I need once the saw is confirmed good is the 36 inch bar for it with some new ripping chains, I don't think you can change the sprocket so you can run the same chains the 660 does.

zap
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Pretty sure you can I rember a thread on it over at the other site. Now its not going to be exactly the same chain. 3/8 .063 but your grinder will be the same set-up. It probally has a 404 on it now it it takes a bigger wheel. Oh and have you priced a 36 inch large mount stihl? :) (Go 41 or 41) ;)
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I'm just giving you a hard time. I probably would have snapped them up too. They will only appreciate in value.

Don't blow out your shoulder starting those monsters...corrective surgery will suck up all your profits ;lol
  6. thewoodlands

It's my back I'll worry about.
    zap
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

almost broke my fingers starting mine one time......learned there's a 'way' to start them and haven't had that problem again.....knock on wood.:p
    smokinj likes this.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Its called decomp.....Never forget it more than once. Flood one and your going to be just as sorry! ;)
    ScotO likes this.
  9. thewoodlands

SO, Stihl just sent me the manual via email so I'll look through it so I have some idea how to start it.

Smokin, I'm not close to being use to the choke & on switch yet, thought I flooded it last night but it finally took off.

zap
    ScotO likes this.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Make sure you are into the compression stroke and then pull with conviction. In a past life, I had to crank up an old 110 Mac on several occasions. It had a bad habit of pulling back every bit as hard as I was pulling on it. I started using the tips of my fingers so that if it did pull back, it would pull the rope out of my hand vs my arm out of the socket.
    smokinj and ScotO like this.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

that's exactly it! SmokinJ, I took the decomp valves out of my saws, jags nailed it!
  12. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Its the same method when kick starting a heavily modified two stroke 4 wheeler. I watched my bike pick up a 350 pound guy and throw him over the handle bars (messed up his ankle pretty good, as well)
    ScotO likes this.
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Only happens once! ;) Sign of a great saw though!
    ScotO likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

If you push in the decomp on the 075 then it won't start do you need to push it in again before you try and restart it.

zap
  15. thewoodlands

16. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    It should pop almost every pull. If it does not then check it out good maybe a shot of w-d.
    zap likes this.
  17. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I've seen those decomp valves carbon up so bad that when you pushed them in, they wouldn't pop back out. ;)
  18. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I am a bit confused. Are you saying that if you use the decomp - you can't get the saw to start?

The decomp should "reset" or pop out any time the engine fires. If its not running, reset the decomp and give it another pull.
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I bet. I seen a few of the tree service saws around here and everything on them is bad. Really shows up when you look at there cuts..
  20. thewoodlands

No Jags, just asking about if it won't start do I need to push it in each time.

zap
  21. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Push it in each time it pops out until she's running. My 361 will pop the decomp on every pull whether it fires/coughs or not.
  22. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    You will only miss it once! ;)
  23. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Nope - if it is working properly, it won't pop out (reset) until the engine at least fires. If the engine does "pop", yet does not start, then you will need to reset the decomp.

Edit - It appears that some saws (as with Lukes post above) will pop the decomp out with each pull. Mine does not. Only if the saw "fires"...and I do believe that is the true way it is supposed to work.
    MasterMech likes this.
  24. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    No doubt. If you miss it and the decomp resets...at your next pull, you WILL notice it (and wonder why your arm now hurts).
  25. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Does that mean my decomp is busted? Either way it seems to do the job, maybe just not as well as it could? I have no intention to fix it, but am curious.