10 feet from ridge or 10 feet from a structure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella77

Nov 23, 2013
lost in the woods
I'm confused is the 10 feet in the 10 ,2 ,3 rule way from the nearest object within the 10 feet after 3 feet from the roof. Or is it 10 feet away from the ridge.

To the nearest roofline or structure.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

To the nearest roofline or structure.

View attachment 118480

So from that if I have a 12/12 pitch I would have to have a chimney height of 12 feet in order to get proper clearance from the nearest structure. I'm 10 away from the ridge as it stands but I have 12/12 pitch so in order to be 10 feet away and the an additional two above that I would have to come through the roof at 12 feet correct?

Here is the actual verbage:
"Chimneys shall extend at least three feet above the highest point where it passes through the roof of a building, and at least two feet higher than any portion of a building within ten feet.”

Your calculation sounds correct. From the description it sounds like you have a steep roof and are penetrating it at a low point. If so, yes this is going to be a tall pipe. Is there any possibility of moving the stove further into the room for less projecting through the roof? If not, this 12' chimney will require 2 roof braces one at 5ft and one at 10ft above the roof penetration.

Status
Not open for further replies.