10 times per winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor has an older HS Tarm with no storage. He also has a huge granite fieldstone chimney with a large fireplace. The stone work runs floor to ceiling on one wall of his house. The house is 2x6 with 2" planks on the exterior (looks like a Lincoln Log house with tight joints on the corners)He has a ladder permanently mounted on the chimney and was up there every 4 to 6 weeks. His wood (mostly maple and birch)gets cut in the fall and burned the next year. He doesnt have covered wood storage so its stacked outside in partial shade. He burns about 8 to 9 cords per year. He ddi get a liner for the chimney and is cleaning less but the ladder is still up there.

My guess for the reason for frequency of cleaning is that the Tarm is idling most of the time and dumping into a large exterior chinney that is exposed to the weather for about two and a half stories.

I cleaned mine 2 or 3 times last winter, but don't think I will this year. It wasn't needed. Once a year should be more than enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.