12 degrees tonight!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumster

Dec 8, 2011
Western MA
Got a new load of wood yesterday. This is the first real test of the T5 insert. Hope she does well!

Good luck tonight. Hope the wood you got is properly and well seasoned. Unfortunately, most "seasoned" wood delivered by local dealers isn't quite dry enough and really could use to stay in the stack for a year before it sees the inside of the woodstove. You'll know soon enough - the fire will be tough to start, trouble getting the stove up to temp properly, and the glass may get dirty quick. If none of that happens, then you're good.

Stay warm! T5's a great stove.

Mumster said:
Got a new load of wood yesterday. This is the first real test of the T5 insert. Hope she does well!

Temp just hit 3.7, heating from the basement with the Lopi Liberty, basement temp 77 with the livingroom upstairs at 73. Been burning some Sugar Maple and Beech.

Have fun with the T5.

zap

north of 60 said:
In to the spring temps are ya. %-P

Enjoy your new source of heat tonight.

You need to try to burn pine
cheeky-smiley-003.gif

Currently 32 windy degrees here right know with the lopi liberty cursing along with a living room temperature of 87 degrees and and upstairs hallway temperature of 83 degrees. I hope with those kind to temperatures that the new load of wood is truly dry or else you are going to freeze. I know from past experience, before we started cutting our own wood, that firewood dealers will lie right to your face and say the wood is dry but in reality it is as green as grass.

Keep us updated on how you make out tonight with those temps and 'unproven' wood.

zapny said:
Mumster said:

Temp just hit 3.7, heating from the basement with the Lopi Liberty, basement temp 77 with the livingroom upstairs at 73. Been burning some Sugar Maple and Beech.

Have fun with the T5.

zap

Showoff.. :cheese:

Ray

Hadn't seen how cold it was going to get last night - must have nearly hit single digits. Had a big fire yesterday morning and house got to 76*. Visited the neighbors in the afternoon, and came home at about 6:30 pm to about 70*. Had a 4 split fire to keep the house at 70* - didn't want a big fire, just enough for a nice bed of coals for the 11pm full load. Loaded at 11pm, and house was cool (67*) at 8:30am today, but a nice big coal bed to fire off the morning load. Should have had a big afternoon fire yesterday to charge the house with heat, but, the visit was worth it! Cheers!

12 degrees is not too cold and most should be able to heat their homes okay. When it gets down to and below zero is the real test for heating. We should see those temperatures within a month.

Got down to 19' last night where I'm at, and its alot cooler when the stove gets down in temperature in the house, and it seems like it takes longer to heat up as opposed to doing the same thing during the day. The suns radiant factors plays a bit part too. Its only 25' as I right this, but house is toasty.

Did pretty well. Maintained 68 in the area with the stove about 800 sq ft. You guys called it on the wood. About 2/3 is soaked and heavy as hell. Some of it is good but most creates a kind of hard ash in the bottom of the stove I guess from dripping water mixing with ash. Burn time is pretty good 6-8 hours probably because it is a lot of Ash wood. Tonight it is 40 crazy weather out here 12 one night 40 the next. Burned only 2 loads today and it is 76 in the main room 70 in the rest of the house about 1900 sq ft with 9 ft ceilings.

You wait till you get some seasoned wood...you won't believe the diff.

teen to 20s at night, near 30 days.
Had 40 yesterday with rain, Now all iced over again :-(
may snow tonight.

Mumster said:
Did pretty well. Maintained 68 in the area with the stove about 800 sq ft. You guys called it on the wood. About 2/3 is soaked and heavy as hell. Some of it is good but most creates a kind of hard ash in the bottom of the stove I guess from dripping water mixing with ash. Burn time is pretty good 6-8 hours probably because it is a lot of Ash wood. Tonight it is 40 crazy weather out here 12 one night 40 the next. Burned only 2 loads today and it is 76 in the main room 70 in the rest of the house about 1900 sq ft with 9 ft ceilings.

With the weather you've had this past year, between Irene and the Tornadoes a few mild days shouldn't be too much of a bother.

Got down to 3F yesterday here. The 17-VL heats our house well till it is 20F or so, then it struggles to raise the room temperature even with 550F cruising temps. It can maintain room temp when it is down to 15F or so outside, after that the oil has to kick in unless I run the stove 600-650F, then it will keep the house warm till it's about 5F, but I don't like running it that hard on a regular basis.

If we ever do our living room addition we will upgrade our stove to a larger one since we would have the space (nevermind the additional sq ft to keep warm).

HotCoals said:

I can't wait to get some proper wood. Every load I have ever gotten from a dealer is not ready to burn. Will I mess up my stove burning wet ash wood? Is there a good way to burn wet wood if you have no choice?

Mumster said:
HotCoals said:

I can't wait to get some proper wood. Every load I have ever gotten from a dealer is not ready to burn. Will I mess up my stove burning wet ash wood? Is there a good way to burn wet wood if you have no choice?

Mess up your stove, probably not unless you have a stove with a cat. Chimney is another matter, you'll fill it full of soot and creosote and could cause a chimney fire. If you have to burn wet wood, keep the wood inside and near (not within the "combustible zone", but close) the stove to preheat your logs. Have them split small (2-4") and burn it hot (500+F). Oh, and check your chimney often, probably weekly would do. If you have 1/4" or more of stuff in the chimney, it's time to sweep it out.

Yup keep an eye on your chimney. Wet wood and cool burning means nice glazed, shiny creosote. Hard to remove till the chimney fire happens. Buy next years wood now or you'll be forever cursing. Maybe cut some pallet wood to mix in to get the temps to 500 or so. Tough to do with wet wood but ash is the best, if a little wet. If you can hit 500 you may be all right. At least Housatonic has a good fire dept. Be safe.
Ed

Thanks for the tips. I'm waiting on an infrared thermometer. I didn't realize I should check it the stove pipe weekly. Gonna check it tomorrow after tonight's burn goes out. Hopefully it won't be a lot. Been burning it pretty hot and ash burns well even wet.

Mumster said:

That hard ash is probably just what we call clinkers here.. I find I get it more often when I leave alot of ash in the stove and keep adding wood and my wood is pretty decent.. If your wood is wet you'll probably see it hissing out water and steam from the end grain and have a hard time getting the secondaries to light and stay lit.. Good to keep an eye on this..

Ray

Get some biobricks or envibricks and mix in with the wood.The heat from them will jump start your wet wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.