1st overnight burn with new Catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
16 hour burn with a 3/4 load from last night,
burned like it used too, down to coals,
cat probe just below active mark.

Moral of my story:
KEEP YOUR CAT CLEAN ;)

Pics
what is left, new load for today (long stuff that don't fit N/S), door open fire, cat temp when door closed.
Will let it burn on high for 20 min before closing the bypass.
Happy camper :)

Attachments

• 1st overnight burn with new Catalytic
    100_5788.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 403
    100_5790.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 391
    100_5791.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 391
    100_5792.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 407
Nice Dave. Now you are prepared in case Alaska ever cools down again. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice Dave. Now you are prepared in case Alaska ever cools down again. lol

Yeh, 35°f today, cloudy, little wind, chance of rain/snow
house 75°
This weekend to get cold, below zero, they say, we'll see.

Nice Dave,
I have a new cat coming from Ebay. Raybonz hooked me up, when he found it while searching the site. It cost me $50 bucks plus $9 shipping. They were SS cats build by Sud-chemie, the company that has been building cats since the beginning of catalytic combustion in stoves. They build them for Condar as well. Congrats on your new cat and nice long burns. Sounds like a wood burners dream.

Good job Dave. Keep track of the new Cat., vs. the original Cat. I want to pick up a spare, just in case, and am really curious about the SS Cats .

The stove is putting out more heat now on lower settings with the new ceramic.
I can really tell the difference in the draft & I have flames on lower settings (2.5 & lower).
But I may have been burning with the SS cat partially plugged for quit a while & the spruce on low made it worse.
I never thought to pull it & look at the back side. (It was glowing fine, or so I thought) Glad i did now.
Maybe now I will switch the vacuum hose to blow, after I vac the front side.
It still glowed red, but not bright red/orange like when the stove was new. (or like the new one now)
Big differences are when I close the bypass, not much of a noticeable change in the flames for quit a while, draft seems almost as good as when in bypass mode.
The pipe out of the stove now is hotter, before I could hold my hand on it for a second or 2. Not now.
I think the SS is as efficient, just the smaller holes are susceptible to plugging easier with
spruce since it crackles & pops , throw sparks & creates dust/ash etc., inside the stove. as it does & gets sucked into the cat. (my theory)

Status
Not open for further replies.