2 double wall stove pipe questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zamfir

Thanks again to all. I'm nearing completion of my Englander nc30 thru the wall install. 1st...my stovepipe is all double wall selkirk. Everything fits nicely over the nc 30 flue collar...the outer wall goes over the collar and the inner wall seats inside the collar. But the collar for the stove has 4 larger diameter screw holes and the Selkirk double wall has only the 3 small sheet metal screw holes..so i went ahead and bought the Selkirk stove adapter but it attaches the exact same way as the straight pipes, and the 45 deg. Elbos, so it really serves no purpose. What am I missing here ,do you just drill 4 holes in the stovepipe to match the collar or do I have to buy yet another part.
2nd...my intended stovepipe config. Is to have a 45 come right out of the flue collar, then about 4 feet of straight pipe, then the other 45 right into the chimney adapter then thru the wall. Is it ok to have a 45 come right off of flue collar, or is it better to 1st have a straight pipe come off the stove then to 45 it over.....I know I'm long winded......thank you

It’s best to have some vertical rise before your elbow. Not a necessity, and with a non cat in most cases it’ll be fine. Most prefer the look better with the elbows up high.

It seems like stove pipe manufacturers don’t do any research when making stove top adaptors. It’s a requirement for them to be attached with 3 screws, but they make no real way for that to happen. We have a few tricks we use, you can also drill some larger holes in the outer wall of the double wall that line up with the flue collar holes. The larger hole allows room for your driver as well as the head of the screw.

So let me try and paint this picture. Your double wall stove pipe shoves into the appliance collar snugly right? It can be double wall adapter, the end of a pipe section, or even an elbow but you want that snug fit.

Then on some double wall pipes the outer wall of the double wall pipe covers up the holes in the stove's collar. Sometimes that outer wall of the double wall pipe will even sit down all the way on the stove. Sometimes, the outer wall is shorter and you can still see the holes on the stove's collar. Which is it that you have? It sounds almost like you can still see and access the stove collars holes. If so you use the stove collar's holes and drill screws into the inner wall of the double wall that has been dropped into the stove's collar.

With my last two permitted installations of double wall pipe I was unable to screw anything to the stove's collar because the outer wall covered up access to the stove's collar. The inspectors and I talked about it and that is how they expected to see it. Approved.

+2. We have an short offset right off the stove. I tried it both top and at the stove and the wife likes it lower. With 20' of straight up flue it drafts fine. No adapter needed. I drilled out the stove collar to match the stove pipe's holes.

Great....thanks to all, I think I like Begreens idea to drill 3 matching holes in the flue collar,especially since the pipe fits like a glove over the collar.
As far as my black pipe config., I guess I'll just see what my wife likes the looks of better, 45 right off stove, or up about a foot then 45 to the wall. My outdoor chimney run is about 23 feet straight up.

I have two stoves that have a 45 right off the stove top adaptor. [See avatar] Both are Selkirk double-wall. Both stoves work perfectly, no draft or other problems. So, I predict you are gonna be fine.

Also, same deal here with the holes. Drill where you need.