2 Inserts to install which one where?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I have 2 inserts to install before winter. First is a Lopi Freedom and second is a Napoleon 1402 both mid 90's models in good shape. One needs to be installed in my living room it has about a 30' chimney with a heavy smooth wall liner. I intend on using the insert in the living room the most. The other will be installed in my hearth room open to the kitchen. It has an 18 chimney with the thin wall liner. Both liners will be insulated any suggestion on which insert to place where?

The Lopi has the larger firebox. Sounds like that should go in the living room if that is the largest area to heat.

I was thinking the same Living room isn't necessarily bigger than the other room but the heat from there will flow into the rest of the house better. Also looks like Lopi is less maintenance and will give more hearth clearance.