2 pickaroons for Christmas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NickW

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
Excited to try the 2 pickaroons I got for Christmas! 15" & 28"...
IMG_20231227_102502.jpg

What brand are those?

I find the short handled version intriguing. Nice for one handing smaller rounds.
I have the standard Peavy made in Maine.

Reactions: NickW
I was watching video's on using them. One guy was saying the short one's are great for moving firewood and the long one's are best for logs and large rounds.

Reactions: all night moe
Looks like the one I bought my son, works good. All you need now is a pickaroon operator or 2 to help, always good to have enough tools for everyone.

Reactions: NickW
I'm thinking I need to get me some of those...

I'm not a plastic handle guy, however.., I bought a "Garant" plastic-handled small axe many years ago and it is a very good and durable tool with a very comfortable, durable handle.

The handles on those Wicing's look very similar, so I'm betting that those are good tools.

Check out the Log Ox. I thought pickaroons were great until I tried the Log ox. I'll still use the pickaroons but man the Log Ox makes it easy

Used them a bit this afternoon. Liked the big one better than the small one. Had several rounds that were too big to lift - they just fell off, need more practice...

One of the first tools I bought was a Fiskar's XA22 Hookaroon. Still my most-used tool. I've got a Log-Ox, and I like it as a timberjack, but in its pickaroon configuration it's heavier than it needs to be and the point does not grab as well.