1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

$20 Hearth pad

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by slls, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    [​IMG]

I had some plywood, 5/8 left over from other projects so used that. I bought some ceramic tile on sale at HD for $10.89 for 11 piece box. Wanted a darker color but could not pass up the price.

Was going to make it square but cut off corners looked too good. The HD where I bought the tile no longer cuts . I have a skil saw and masonry disc from other projects.

Set the blade to cut 1/16 in at time with some water, surprising it worked. Set the tile with silicone adhesive sealer, held down with railroad rails.
    Used straight cement for grout, had it on hand left over from other projects.
    I know one thing it sure is heavy. Here a pix, kind of crude but cheap.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Steveo

Steveo Member

Loc:
    Maine
    looks good!
  3. hoverfly

hoverfly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NH
    You are going to need to put 1/2" cement board between the tiles and plywood.
  4. RedNeck Wrangler

RedNeck Wrangler New Member

Loc:
    "The Alton Bog" Maine
    I was told by my stove dealer you don't have to use cement board under the tiles, plywood is acceptable. You just need a none combustible surface for a pellet stove. Were they wrong?
  5. Steveo

Steveo Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I did not use the cement board. I just used marble that is about 1" thick on top of plywood which sits on top of my laminate floor.
  6. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    The requirement for a pellet stove is the surface needs to be non combustible, the ceramic fills that requirement. The Harmon manual states a 20 gauge sheet steel is all that is needed, not pretty though.
  7. johnnywarm

johnnywarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I think it looks very good.Grout it and you could get 200 bucks.
  8. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Looks far better than the fireproof "stove board" my friends
    husband bought to go under their p38.
  9. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    Thanks for the poster who liked it. Have to pinch pennies after buying a $2700 pellet stove and $747 for pellets.
  10. pelletwood

pelletwood Member

Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Excellent job, Great price!!!
  11. drizler

drizler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chazy, NY 12921
    Should do the trick for you just fine. It looks a lot like mine though I used the cement board as it was pretty cheap. Problem with mine is that the front tiles got loosened probably from tripping over them as its in a bad place for that. I double buttered the tiles and board with the same tri flex tile adhesive I used on my kitchen floor years back. The front tiles have managed to pry loose with time. If I had the space which I didn't it would have been better to make some of perimeter out of wooden molding to help keep it in place. Something possibly for anyone building one of these to consider.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.