20% oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crackshot

Jan 15, 2011
Moosup ct
hello all!,.... I realize that oak should be around 15% M.C. I have red oak and white oak that (after I split a spit) is reading 20 to 21 % all over the inside of the piece,.. obviously like 15 % on the edges,...... this is after I checked numerous splits from the pile....... I have a new englander 30-nc,..... how my winter gonna be???... hahahaha hopefully warm... lol,...... seriously ,... will I be able to shut her down and cruise through the nights easily?,... creasote issues?.... any info other than drying my wood longer would much be apprieciated!!!

Seems like the dry wood evangalists are taking a break, so my 2 cents is 20% sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me as well - I don't think you'll have any problems with creosote either.

You'll be fine. 20% is dry.

20% is where you want to be not sure why you think it needs to be 15%.

nothing wrong with 20% that oak will burn beautifully.

My EKO reccommends 20% and they don't specify any peculiarities between species. They should know. If they don't know that's okay...they warrant their product.. :)

Combustion efficiency peaks at about 20-21% moisture content, that's why the EPA tests are done with 20% mc wood. When you start getting really low moisture contents, like below 10% then efficiency get really bad as the wood burns so fast, that coupled with the need for severely restricting the air , leads to heavy deposit potential in the chimney. So 15-20% mc is probably ideal.

Good to go . . . or rather I would burn it without any qualms.

wish my oak was 20%. you should be good to go.

Oak at 20% is many a wood burner's dream! You're doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.