2006 Mt vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jkrout

Dec 18, 2020
Pennsylvania
Kinda new to the pellet stove world and learning as I go. I have a 2006 mt vernon pellet stove. Last year I replaced the exhaust fan and everything had worked as it should until now. The last few days the fire every once in a while, seems to get bigger than normal, and it tripped the "resetable" snap disc on the auger. When it did it obviously shut down. The pelllets in the pot did not completely burn and it left black soot in the stove. Before I go too far and try to fire it back up and have even bigger problems, I was looking for some advice as to what would cause it. I regularly clean it as far as heat exchanger, ash pan and general vacuuming of all the ash out of the stove. Any help/advice appreciated.

How many bags have you run through the stove since replacing the combustion blower? Has it been cleaned? Has the vent been cleaned? Holes in the burn pot clear?

Reactions: johneh
How many bags have you run through the stove since replacing the combustion blower? Has it been cleaned? Has the vent been cleaned? Holes in the burn pot clear?
I had some ash built up a little in my chimney corner, where the chimney turns upwards in the wall. Cleaned that out and it was working better for a littlw while, but then the flam started getting big and lazy again and my pot has been over flowing. The combustion blower was replaced anout 2.5 tons ago. I have a chimney that comes out of a hearth where a wood stove used to be. But yeah clean. Have had all the baffles out and have cleaned behind them. Cleaned the heat exchanger tubes. Neither had any build up to speak of.

ok only 4 things can cause a lazy flame,
1: exhaust is restricted from combustion blower to the rain cap
2: exhaust path through the stove is restricted
3: combustion blower isn't doing its job
4: house is very well sealed and it can.t draw enough air in through the intake to maintain a fire.

I would recommend pulling the combustion blower and give it a good cleaning and the chamber it mounts into. should be done every ton. lots of ash gets back there and packs up

Reactions: johneh
I cleaned it all out, but haven't pulled the blower. I did it from the side plate access. Thw flame had been fine, but it keeps overfilling the pot. Feed rate rod is at it's lowest setting. Its like thepellets aren't burning completely, but it keeps dropping them and then it backs up into the feed chute.

Ok what about the chimney/liner when was it last cleaned and brushed? Have you checked the rain cap area for obstructions, birds nest?