2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all I know there was one before it rained 4.5”! I have some nice 60s Evinrudes in the basement, lol. A 9.9 would roostertail behind that long and narrow of a runner!
This weekend looks like it will be wet and gusty, today they're calling for 2.30 inches of rain on the weekend for our area with wind gust around 30 mph.

We'll make sure the wood racks inside are full by Friday.
2023 Severe Weather

Last edited:
The kid is celebrating her birthday with her friends Saturday. I hope it’s not too rainy.

Reactions: thewoodlands
The kid is celebrating her birthday with her friends Saturday. I hope it’s not too rainy.
That would be nice but the way summer and some of the heavy rains we received this fall, the odds are against that.

We've been getting soaked every Saturday, like clockwork. This has translated to a LOT of canceled or rescheduled soccer games, since they normally play nearly every Saturday.

Tell me about it. I've been trying to get my barn painted all summer. When I'm at work the weather is gorgeous, when I'm home it's wet. I gave up on mowing a few weeks ago.
We're in for around 1.50 inches of rain starting tomorrow afternoon through Sunday.

Ugh. I’m going to have to move the boat. It’s parked by the water waiting for me to do winter maintenance. Sigh.

You shrink wrap and store outdoors, or have a garage for winter? Wood, glass, or rotomolded?

Here’s my cover coming off this spring. I’m down to a small mod v fishing boat. It’s only a 9 mile lake so I don’t need much. 10 minutes and I’m on the other end of the lake! Honestly, I didn’t even run through 6 gallons of gas in it this year. Too busy. I’m thinking of letting it go. But it doesn’t cost me anything other than registration. That’s what $20 a year or so? I can pull it and launch it from our sandbar so I haven’t had plates on it for years. It can float for a long time before I get sick of paying that.

I figured the right height above the boat to build the framework so I can use Luann for snow slides! That used to be a really cheap way to do it! Now they’re stupid expensive.

When I pull skis or tubes I borrow the boat on the other side of the dock. It’s an awesome deal, I just put gas in each time I use it! Back when I had a bow rider and they were boat free the deal was swapped, lol.

2023 Severe Weather

So far we've received just over one inch of rain.

I was up painting the floor for a few hours today and it misted a few times. The water level had actually lowered so I didn’t pull the boat further up the hill. Next weekend I’ll get the pre winter maintenance done.

Looks like in two days the chill is on for us. Nighttime temps in the 30s coming up, in the 20s to the north of the state. Snow in the passes for sure. Looks like I'll be firing up the T6 soon.

Looks like in two days the chill is on for us. Nighttime temps in the 30s coming up, in the 20s to the north of the state. Snow in the passes for sure. Looks like I'll be firing up the T6 soon.
NOAA claims a "chance of Rain/Snow" here on Friday, with nighttime temperatures slightly below freezing. Might actually have to turn the BK up past the 3:00 o'clock minimum air position.

I live next to Helena MT at about 5,000 ft. elevation. We have over a foot of snow now, its snowing heavily, and the local forecast says another good storm will come through tomorrow. Pic taken about 8.30 AM MT time on Wed. They say all of this is headed for the Great Lakes region.

2023 Severe Weather

It’ll be rain by the time it hits us. If not, lots of free trees to collect. Leaves are still on.

I live next to Helena MT at about 5,000 ft. elevation. We have over a foot of snow now, its snowing heavily, and the local forecast says another good storm will come through tomorrow. Pic taken about 8.30 AM MT time on Wed. They say all of this is headed for the Great Lakes region.

View attachment 317295
I had to double-take when I saw your photo, as for a moment I thought I was looking at a mirrored photo of the deck at my first house!

P2100020.JPG

For those in the northeast, this was the event deemed "snowmageddon" by the news media, in 2010. Things got quite deep, the wind-stripped deck wasn't necessarily the best indicator:

2023 Severe Weather

News people are such drama llamas. It was a big storm, but “snowmageddon”?

Reactions: Ashful
News people are such drama llamas. It was a big storm, but “snowmageddon”?
lol... yeah. Wasn't nearly the worst. I remember storms in 1993 and 1996/97 that were substantially worse.

That 6+ foot snowfall buffalo got last year would qualify though!
In a single storm? That's crazy!

We've had three three or four storms of 30 - 36 inches in the last 40 years, but never more. I think even our January 1997 storm topped out under 40 inches official total, although drifts were 6 - 15 feet deep in places.

Yeah, I think it was a single storm. Where do you put that much snow? Lol. There isn’t room on the side of the road for it!

View attachment 317295
It's a big and deep arctic system. Fortunately, we're on the western edge of this, but the snow is falling here in the hills. It'll be heading east by next week.

It's a big and deep arctic system. Fortunately, we're on the western edge of this, but the snow is falling here in the hills. It'll be heading east by next week.
NOAA currently shows almost all clear and sunny with around freezing overnight temps here thru Sunday. Maybe the system is passing south of Seattle.

NOAA currently shows almost all clear and sunny with around freezing overnight temps here thru Sunday. Maybe the system is passing south of Seattle.
South of Seattle will stay above freezing in the urban lowland areas, but areas north and at higher elevations may see some 20s. That's better than -10 couple of states to the east.

Saturday was beautiful! Short sleeve weather, swam the dog for a couple hours… today was absolutely miserable! Low 40s and rain!

I was hoping to get some maintenance done outside today. I wanted to do an oil and gear oil change on an outboard. It wasn’t meant to be. I had to move a sail outside to paint and that got soaked. I’ll have to dry it before it can be stored for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.