2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My muddy driveway is finally firming up with the cooler weather. We went from highs in the 50’s to now not being above freezing for two days.

My 10 day forecast doesn’t show any precipitation for the next 9 days. But that will change when it snows tomorrow :)

Reactions: thewoodlands
It was a nice evening. 30F or so. Went to Fort William Henry for a winter touristy thing that the wife wanted to go to. It was a neat experience. I can’t help wonder what the French and Indian War soldiers would have thought of the way their Bastions looked with the lights and decorations. I have no idea where they hid the cannons.

F0D55BEC-C126-487B-AC3C-E74DC4D30F56.jpeg C82CEE8B-35FB-4271-9B2B-1A0A44DE13DF.jpeg

It's been a rough year here for the skiers. Late November showed promise, but then things warmed up. There's snowpack at 3500', but it can be slushy with bare spots. It's better at the higher elevations.
My totally-unscientific but almost 100% consistent observation is that, at least around here, winters that start off cold end up being unusually mild. And winters that start off too mild, end up being unusually cold. Every time we have an unusually cold December, and everyone starts talking about what a brutal winter it's going to be, we get 70F on Valentines day.

I'm not sure what to make of this one, though. We're not used to seeing the snow makers running on the slopes in November, just to have them shut down for most of December. Weird.

Yeah so far the most snow we've had was at the end of November. Almost 2’. Besides that it’s just been an inch or two here and there.
I’ve only had to use my snowblower the one time.

Last year we had a big thaw in February. I had friends making maple syrup earlier than normal. I wasn’t ready yet. This year I will be just in case ;)

Reactions: thewoodlands
Yeah, we usually have the same amount of heating degree days each year. Sometimes they come early, sometimes they come late.

Yeah so far the most snow we've had was at the end of November. Almost 2’. Besides that it’s just been an inch or two here and there.
I’ve only had to use my snowblower the one time.

Last year we had a big thaw in February. I had friends making maple syrup earlier than normal. I wasn’t ready yet. This year I will be just in case ;)
The most snow we had was four or five inches, we had warmer weather coming in after the snow with rain so I plowed the driveway so it would melt everything off before the colder weather returned, that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.