2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking like it will be about 2” here. Not too bad. It rained all night. We still have some patches of snow on the ground from weeks ago.

Our ducks are out on the pond (finally no surface ice) and loving the rain.

It rained pretty hard overnight with some heavier rains hitting this area around 7 this morning. It looks like the rain has eased off some but we'll receive rain all day.

I put some calls in to find out what the lakes were doing up North. I’m betting they’ll be up a couple feet by the time they stop rising. I’m hoping all that finally dry oak I have up there doesn’t decide to take a slow trip down the river to the Hudson. It did that once before.

I may take a trip north today. I have the dog with me. We can think of worse ways to spend the day!

I put some calls in to find out what the lakes were doing up North. I’m betting they’ll be up a couple feet by the time they stop rising. I’m hoping all that finally dry oak I have up there doesn’t decide to take a slow trip down the river to the Hudson. It did that once before.

I may take a trip north today. I have the dog with me. We can think of worse ways to spend the day!
He’s stressed out over the rain, lol.

462021E3-9302-478F-ABFF-69D9E9670DC5.jpeg

Think we just squeaked by from the roughest part of the storm here on the jersey shore.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Lots of trees down into power lines and houses, and blocking roads in my general area - and that was from the wind, before the rain really got going. Over on the coast an apartment building's roof blew off.

My place is good although my town does have washouts it has been dealing with all night. My place got a bit over 2.5" of rain, most of it divided between 3 short bursts of intense rain. But other places in the state are showing more than 5". Ground is frozen so none of the water can soak in.

Up north got hit hard with melting snow joining the rain. The frozen ground does not allow any of it to soak in. Campton dam was looking scary and a bridge in Gorham too. The Pemi was supposed to crest at around 21' for major flood stage.

Water is still slowly entering the basement. The sump pump is going fairly often still. I have to wonder if a spring shifted. There was one in the back yard when I was young. It hasn’t been there for the last decade and a half. Maybe it came back?

One big shagbark hickory leaner at a neighbor's house, in danger of dropping onto main road, after Sunday's storm and yesterday's wind. Just notified the tree guy who sometimes does work for that family, thinking he'd probably want to hop onto the job before someone else went knocking on their door, and he offered to bring me the wood. Easy score!

I spent so many years hauling nothing but oak, that I don't think I ever harvested a single hickory prior to our 2019 tornado that brought them down in droves. As a result of that event, I spent much of 2023 burning hickory (the 2019 stuff), and have really grown to appreciate it. I don't know how they're rated, but just by pure weight density, I'm guessing our local shagbark hickory must be nearly equal to red oak on BTU, and it lights off much easier. Great wood, except the absolutely obscene amounts of ash it generates.

Water is still slowly entering the basement. The sump pump is going fairly often still. I have to wonder if a spring shifted. There was one in the back yard when I was young. It hasn’t been there for the last decade and a half. Maybe it came back?
Some of the roads that are closed in Schroon.

• Alder Meadow Road in Schroon - Closed
  • Beech Hill Road in Schroon - Closed
  • Hoffman Road in Schroon - Closed
  • Letsonville Road in Schroon - Closed

Alder meadow is on the north end, through a swamp. I mean wetland, lol.

My wood will be going down the river. The water is about 3” under the bottom of the stack. The water will be going up another 2 days.

I’ve got a lead on a beech that came down. I’ll get that processed in spring, lol

Alder meadow is on the north end, through a swamp. I mean wetland, lol.

My wood will be going down the river. The water is about 3” under the bottom of the stack. The water will be going up another 2 days.

I’ve got a lead on a beech that came down. I’ll get that processed in spring, lol
We received 2 inches of snow overnight and this morning, I hear some areas in the north could hit 50 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

We got 3” of rain and then 2” of snow on top of the muddy ground. It’s supposed to be 47 here on Christmas Day.

Got up to the lake today. The water didn’t rise too much more after I saw it last. I still have firewood! I bet the lower courses are pretty wet though, lol. There’s enough to last me through the winter and maybe some of next. Will evaluate again after possible spring floods!!!

Got up to the lake today. The water didn’t rise too much more after I saw it last. I still have firewood! I bet the lower courses are pretty wet though, lol. There’s enough to last me through the winter and maybe some of next. Will evaluate again after possible spring floods!!!
I'm not sure how many years back this was but the end of February and March were the only months good for snowmobiling around here and then the warmer weather moved in along with some heavy rains that had all the rivers running pretty high.

That may have been last year. I remember an early snow in December/January, then rains came and got rid of it. It came back in March but I got busy and couldn’t sneak away to go skiing.

It's been a rough year here for the skiers. Late November showed promise, but then things warmed up. There's snowpack at 3500', but it can be slushy with bare spots. It's better at the higher elevations.

I’m burning some wood where the bottom of the stack got flooded a little bit ago. It probably got about half up the first row by the look of the wood.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I’m burning some wood where the bottom of the stack got flooded a little bit ago. It probably got about half up the first row by the look of the wood.
I hear we have a system coming up the east coast (I think they said the end of the week) but we won't get a Nor'easter out of it unless they change the forecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.