2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that Accu is talking about a Nor' Easter early next week with flooding rains, strong coastal winds and mountain snow mostly in New England.

It's a ways off but worth keeping track of.

good thing I finally cleaned my gutters!

If it hits, it’ll most likely be rain collecting in my basement, lol

Reactions: thewoodlands

Some of our gutters we cleaned (the wife holds the ladder) three times, once in the spring, summer and fall.

Today Accu has us getting a total of half an inch starting on Sunday night but that should change.

No clear solution yet. From my local NWS discussion

LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Uncertainty is the key word for the weekend and start of next week. Southern stream becomes active later this week, leading to a complex low developing in the Gulf of Mexico. The 5h trough ends up cutoff over the northeastern GOMEX Sat night with the cutoff and the surface low moving across the Florida Peninsula Sun then turning northeast Sun night into Mon. Medium range guidance is all over the
place, with solutions ranging from the stacked low passing well west of the area (unlikely) to passing well off the Southeast coast.

Despite the range of solutions and high uncertainty there are
tendencies that can be used to focus on the most likely outcome. The amplified nature of the system would support slower solutions. The tenuous nature of the northern stream/southern stream connection points to the offshore solution as more likely. By nature a southern stream system would keep highs near to slightly above climo with
lows running well above climo.

In summary, the driest day appears to be Sat, although the coastal trough may bring some light rain Sat night as it moves onshore. Sun has the potential to be rather wet as does at least the first part of Mon. There is at least some chance rainfall lingers into Tue if the slowest and more offshore solutions verify.

That's some good tree-uprooting weather, depending on current soil saturation conditions.
Had 2 inches last Sunday but was dry before that. Rainfal totals are up to 3-4 inches. 41-51 mph gusts. The wide spread high wind events that get cute names tend to do a good job culling the weak trees for us. But this will probably bring some more down. Coastal flooding and beech erosion will happen.

I see Accu has us getting 2 inches of rain starting Sunday afternoon or night, how much are you in for?

4 inches for us. https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i.gif
1702760098511.png

Accuweather says between 1.5 and 3”. I’m scheduled for a basement cleaning day so all is good. I’ll be down there much of the day, lol.

Accuweather is not making any predictions for my area yet (or I'm not familiar enough with their site to find it). They are saying we are under a flood watch from late tonight into late Monday night. That would be because the ground is hard so the water will mainly just wash off. The river 4 blocks from me is still up from last week's rain, plus melting snow making its way down from the north country.

The local station is predicting 1-3" with some gusty winds up to 40 mph. My little section of the state is looking to be around 2". Draw a line from Concord to Keene and I am smack dab at the middle of that line.

1702803038634.png

Maybe I'll finally get rid of the last of the snow from a couple of weeks ago - even the 2" of rain last week didn't get rid of it all. Admittedly, there isn't much left and what is there is in shaded areas, but it gives an indication of how cold the ground has stayed despite a couple of days in the mid 40's and actually getting good sun the last 2 days.

Attachments

• animated.mov
    1.4 MB
Just a little breezy today, Accu has the rain starting here at 5 p.m. with a total of 0.69 of rain tonight and a total of just under 2 inches after it's all done.

The Brook should be running pretty high and fast after the rain stops.

Pour South Carolina. Radar accumulation in excess of 11 inches for some parts.

Not too bad here. Saw a car stalled out in a known low spot. I turned around. Not turning the Tesla into a boat.

Almost 3 inches here. Not quite over. Good forecast as it showed heaviest rain west of us. Which is what happened.

IMG_9059.png

I just pulled the batteries out of my Unimog that happens to be a high water rescue vehicle today as I pull the insurance on it for the Winter and park it. It is good for 1.2 meters (about 4' of fording depth). The interior doors have little rubber flaps in them so when the water comes up above the floor boards it runs out the interior door panels and down through the bottom of the doors. The combustion air system is sealed with a snorkle up to the roof and everything potentially underwater is slightly pressurized so water doesnt get into any lubricated systems.

My area in northern NH is inland, the current forecast is several inches of rain, luckily there was not much of a snow pack but what there is of it will melt and rabidly drain across frozen ground to the local rivers, I expect more than few of them will be over flood crest tomorrow evening. The observatory on Mt Washington just south of my place (but 4800 feet higher than me) is expecting 100 MPH winds and if the storm lines up right they may go up to 140 MPH. Luckily, I am on the north side of the mountain with the storm coming up from the south so I will be sheltered a bit.

Reactions: bogieb
Well, basement is wet. The sup pup really started picking up it’s on/off cycle around 4 this morning. I peeked down stairs and it was dry. Just looked down again and there’s water down there.

It was bound to happen.

Schools are closed or on 2-hour delay here, this morning, which was a huge surprise given it's almost 60F outside. But then we checked the local weather map and noticed it's completely plastered in flood warnings and watches (mostly warnings). I guess we had more rain than we had realized!

Status
Not open for further replies.