2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Effect Snow Warning​

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
931 PM EST Sun Nov 26 2023

NYZ006>008-271100-
/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0003.231127T2100Z-231129T1200Z/
Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-
Including the cities of Oswego, Watertown, and Lowville
931 PM EST Sun Nov 26 2023

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM MONDAY TO
7 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow expected. Total snow
accumulations of 1 to 2 feet in the most persistent lake
snows, with local amounts up to 30 inches across the Tug Hill
plateau. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph will produce areas of
blowing and drifting snow.

* WHERE...The Eastern Lake Ontario Region. The greatest
accumulations will remain south of Watertown and across the
Tug Hill Plateau.

* WHEN...From 4 PM Monday to 7 AM EST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The heaviest snow and most significant
impacts are expected Monday night through Tuesday, when snow
rates exceeding 3" per hour can occur within the heaviest snow
bands.

We're cold, but dry again. Not what we need after a drought summer. With no rain in sight before the end of the month, the NWS said it will be only the 4th time in 79 years of record-keeping that the last week of November was dry here.

Not far north of you, eastern King County is also dry and cold, but NOAA is predicting rain starting on the 30th. Sometimes they're right.

We have some systems coming from the south later this week, this morning the weather channel was saying rain and then possible heavy snows. The forecast will change but I better finish up my trail cleanup before something hits.

We had a dusting of snow. I’m more worried about the wind. I’m footing ladders all day today. I’ll start all my work around 4pm today.

I was on my roof putting down some foam while dusting started. Said lemme finish this side of the house. By that time the roof had became slippery and I fell on my ass pretty hard. Good thing I didn't slide down further. Def a close call!

Wow, yeah, foam can be slippery. I put it down under my metal roof at the cabin. It was slick enough I tied in when putting on the metal. If it was an asphalt shingle I wouldn’t have bothered. Only 6/12 pitch. I think I fell up there too.

Ugh, can’t get away tonight to look at a dark sky!

2A6185A8-2C2E-426F-8146-C71C0DA7DEEE.png

Not much in the forecast for our area unless it changes.

1701577084791.png

I’ve noticed a bunch of the ski places have started to open up! This is real good for the economy up there! If the lakes can freeze over early and a snowpack forms in the woods it might be a boom year up north!

I’ve noticed a bunch of the ski places have started to open up! This is real good for the economy up there! If the lakes can freeze over early and a snowpack forms in the woods it might be a boom year up north!
I live adjacent to a ski resort, I literally look up at the slopes from the rear of our house. We were over there ice skating last night on their outdoor hockey rink, and it was warm enough that the whole rink was foggy. They haven't opened the slopes yet, we're too far south for that, but they were making snow most nights last week. I hear the snow guns running when I take the dog out, usually they run 10pm - 8am.

Hopefully they have a good base or are getting snow instead of the rain we've had the last two or three days.

Its been raining all day here. Maybe some of the mountains got snow.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Its been raining all day here. Maybe some of the mountains got snow.
From the snow report on www.whiteface.com .

Today we anticipate opening with 4 lifts and 12 trails on Loose and variable conditions. As for weather we are going to see some under cooked snow for most of the day until later tonight when it’s done cooking and turned into some heavy snow, with a good chance of accumulation. The high today will be around 35 with a SE wind of 10-15mph.

We are now just a week away from our Annual Santa Sunday event. Next Sunday adorn your favorite version of a Santa outfit and receive a free lift ticket! Last year we had over 300 Santas; but I believe in you all and think we can crush that number!

Lol. Right now I’d be afraid of hitting a bare spot going down the mountain. My father broke some ribs doing that. I think he was trying to stretch the season vs start it early though, lol.

The Pac NW is getting pineapples in December. We broke 2 records yesterday - the warmest Dec 4th @ 59º and the wettest in 24 hrs. @ 1.51".

We’ve hit the grey part of the year. Rainy and 35 degrees will be 75% of December

We’ve hit the grey part of the year. Rainy and 35 degrees will be 75% of December
If Accu is correct with the forecast, we have 50 degrees on Saturday and 54 on Sunday.

It looks like we could have some high wind gust coming in on Sunday.

1701811015724.png

That’s a pretty map. Usually they have cold colors indicating different amounts of snow. The purple looks pleasant!

That’s a pretty map. Usually they have cold colors indicating different amounts of snow. The purple looks pleasant!
1.22 inches of rain forecast tonight for Sunday, things should be a mess, I'm sure the trails I cleaned up will need some cleaning if we get the high winds with all the rain.

We'll get more pine and ash in before the heavy rains hit on Sunday. I better check my chains, I haven't sharpened any lately.

Snow this morning. Must have had freezing rain too. Where did I put that scraper last spring?

Snow this morning. Must have had freezing rain too. Where did I put that scraper last spring?
Not much going on up here today, the last I looked it was only 20 out. I think they're calling for a low of 10 tomorrow morning and then the warmer weather comes in.

Snowed all morning here, too. Actually stuck on the lawn a bit, but nothing on asphalt or pavement, it'd been preheated too well in preceding days. All stopped and mostly melted now, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.