25 PDVC Cold and warm air coming out of vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciji.burnup

Feb 24, 2015
Carthage NY
I have a 25 PDVC Englander and I just cleaned up up and started it last night. I've had this stove for 2 winters. It has worked fine in my small 2 br trailer until last winter (we added an addition), so we supplemented with a propane wall heater. Everything worked perfectly. When I cleaned it this year, there was a lot of dust/grime built up in the blower. We have a lot of dust here, so that doesmt aurprise me, and truthfully, I don't remember if I cleaned it the year before (our first year, we bought it used). So I started it last night and everything is good. It's running just fine. However, the front vent where the heat blows out now only blows hot air on one side and cooler air on the other. The first year we had it I looked everywhere in the forums because the vent only blew heat out half the vent, but didn't find anything, and it heated, so I left it alone. Same last year. Now that I've cleaned the blower, I can only assume that the dust buildup had something to do with the lack of heat blowing on one side. Another difference is that the top of the stove (not the top of the hopper) and the sides of the stove, aren't as hot as they used to be. They used to be pretty hot and the side of the stove hot enough to burn skin. What I would like to know is I f now it is working normally when it wasn't the 2 years previous, or does it still seem to have a problem. Please ask as many questions as necessary if anything I wrote isn't understood. I want to get it fixed asap if there are any issues, before actual winter comes. Thank you.

Sounds to me like it just needs a good cleaning.are you attaching a small hose to a vacuum and getting into all the passages up behind the impingement plate. I had that stove for 10 yrs. And the passages are a real pain to clean out on that thing.

It needs a good deep cleaning. Ash will act as an insulator to your heat exchange and prevent the proper transfer of heat to the tubes/vent. You need to get in there deep with wire brushes etc. You can also look up the leaf blower trick on this forum and give that a try.

I changed the thread title so hopefully Mike from England stove will see it.

If the trailer is in a trailer court, the leaf blower may tick of the neighbours. I use a tube attached to my shop vac and a dryer vent brush so I can clean the internal exhaust passages well. Others use a bottle brush as it depends on the stove body on what will work.

Reactions: fmsm
However, the front vent where the heat blows out now only blows hot air on one side and cooler air on the other..

If I read this correctly, I would recommend getting a dryer lint brush, one of the long, thinner ones, and run it through the vent holes. You need to remove the convection fan. As the dust falls through, put the hose of your shop vac in the convection fan opening and vacuum the dust. You can also use the blower end of the shop vac in the fan opening and blow air through the vent holes. Worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.