28" Carlton bar and 91 dl Calton 30 RC chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
southbound said:
Started with a 18" a few years back..Quickly went to the 20" since my inlaws think you an't a man if you don't have a 20" bar....

I wonder what they think now I have the 28"??????

I ran my FIL 361 yesterday for one cut bucking a log and he grinds off the rakers way to much.. When I touched the log it bout pulled out of my hands lol......

I have the rakers on my 360 ground down to .025 on a 16 inch bar with a .325 chain . It works great for this set up I cant run it on my 026 it either grabs to much and you have to hold it back and it vibrates like B***H .

I have a .325 - 20 inch bar that I am going to try on the ms 460 and I am going to try takeing down the rakers a bit more and see how fast this one will blast through the wood .

webie said:
southbound said:
Started with a 18" a few years back..Quickly went to the 20" since my inlaws think you an't a man if you don't have a 20" bar....

I ran my FIL 361 yesterday for one cut bucking a log and he grinds off the rakers way to much.. When I touched the log it bout pulled out of my hands lol......

I have the rakers on my 360 ground down to .025 on a 16 inch bar with a .325 chain . It works great for this set up I cant run it on my 026 it either grabs to much and you have to hold it back and it vibrates like B***H .

I have a .325 - 20 inch bar that I am going to try on the ms 460 and I am going to try takeing down the rakers a bit more and see how fast this one will blast through the wood .

460 going to cut faster at highier RPM lower rakers are going to slow your rpm down....sweet spot is out of the cut around
14,000 rpm there not tourqe monsters there rpm junkies!

smokinjay said:
webie said:
southbound said:

460 going to cut faster at highier RPM lower rakers are going to slow your rpm down....sweet spot is out of the cut around

True but I have not knowen anyone to run a .325 chain on a 460 yet so I may try the 16 inch bar and chain on it first before I make up another chain .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
southbound said:

True but I have not knowen anyone to run a .325 chain on a 460 yet so I may try the 16 inch bar and chain on it first before I make up another chain .

I hope you know why no one has tried it?

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
southbound said:

I was hopeing you would fill me in .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
southbound" date="1271050648 said:

lol the .325 is not strong enough to hold up to a 460.......nothing worse than a snap chain on the loose!

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie" date="1271097235 said:

lol the .325 is not strong enough to hold up to a 460.......nothing worse than a snap chain on the loose!

Been there done that a couple of times with oregon chain which I dont run anymore .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay" date="1271098530 said:

Been there done that a couple of times with oregon chain which I dont run anymore .

never had one break and never use oregon either but 460 at wot and a chain breaking has to mangle everthing in its path...

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie" date="1271100934 said:

never had one break and never use oregon either but 460 at wot and a chain breaking has to mangle everthing in its path...

Broke 2 of them when I had homelite 360 . Kinda makes use of what they call the chain catcher . I have yet to break a stihl chain , not saying it cant be done .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay" date="1271101050 said:
webie" date="1271100934 said:

Broke 2 of them when I had homelite 360 . Kinda makes use of what they call the chain catcher . I have yet to break a stihl chain , not saying it cant be done .

I have use a lot of woodland pro and stihl no issues yet knock on wood...I hear on a snap chain the chain catcher will not always catch it and could just go flying.

I am sure it could . Both of my experiences were similar to popping a chain off the bar only to find it broken .

webie said:
I am sure it could . Both of my experiences were similar to popping a chain off the bar only to find it broken .

Your a cat! lol I got hurt for the first time yesterday smash my pinkie loading a large round its black and blue...I hate pain so uaslly take the time need in the right places but there was two of us on this round...

I just dont deal with big rounds anymore you can get really hurt that way . I Cut tree down , brush out , tow with tractor to processing area , buck up , back up tractor with splitter and log lift , girlfriend throws split pieces on trailer . The first time I really touch much wood is pileing off the trailer.
5 years ago I said enough was enough and I took a big look at how I processed my firewood , My biggest issue and handicap sat right in the splitting area . Thats when I purchased the Timberwolf TW3 . Yes it was a big purchase , the last of my lifetime but it has made processing firewood so much faster and easier on the body .

webie said:
I just dont deal with big rounds anymore you can get really hurt that way . I Cut tree down , brush out , tow with tractor to processing area , buck up , back up tractor with splitter and log lift , girlfriend throws split pieces on trailer . The first time I really touch much wood is pileing off the trailer.
5 years ago I said enough was enough and I took a big look at how I processed my firewood , My biggest issue and handicap sat right in the splitting area . Thats when I purchased the Timberwolf TW3 . Yes it was a big purchase , the last of my lifetime but it has made processing firewood so much faster and easier on the body .

Yep I dont usally touch the bid rounds will let the young men handle that or noddle it...This one seem pretty easy nice and round and all meat lets just roll it in. lol we spun it in and it just caught the end on my finger had my anti-vibe gloves on so it cusion the blow but still pretty ugly.

smokinjay said:
webie said:

Your a cat! lol I got hurt for the first time yesterday smash my pinkie loading a large round its black and blue...I hate pain so uaslly take the time need in the right places but there was two of us on this round...

Sorry to hear this . Well good thing its not your trigger finger.

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:

lol your right there, I have a walnut to drop first thing tuesday and going to mill this one!

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:

lol your right there, I have a walnut to drop first thing tuesday and going to mill this one!

Jay what are you useing for a mill ?

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:

30in. Alaskan mill and a mini mill for edging the 460 with 32in. bar and the 361 with 20in.bar for edging. This will be my first time milling.

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie" date="1271103992 said:

30in. Alaskan mill and a mini mill for edging the 460 with 32in. bar and the 361 with 20in.bar for edging. This will be my first time milling.

How big a log can you do with a 30 inch mill ?

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay" date="1271104789 said:
webie" date="1271103992 said:

How big a log can you do with a 30 inch mill ?

26 in. slabs but you can do larger logs if you make cants out of the log and then mill into slabs if need be

Good luck with the milling . I know there is many times that some of the wood I cut up for firewood should be used for boards . Well at least if you screw up you can still use it for fire wood.

southbound said:
Man I was gone for a little while today and look what I missed.....

Need to see a vid of you milling.....

just getting the first log of many tuesday going to stock pile for a couple weeks get them set up on my back 40 and then start milling

Status
Not open for further replies.