1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

3 or 4 Inch Horizontal Vent?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by patrickcote, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickcote

patrickcote New Member

Loc:
    Central ME
    I purchased and Enviro Empress that has a 3 inch vent outlet.

My plan is to use a 3 to 4" adapter then go a 4" direct horizontal vent.

There are two reasons for doing this:
    1) The place where I bought the stove threw in some 4" pipe and termination for no charge. (new Simpson Dura Vent)
    2) I want to have the option to add exterior vertical in the future if I have problems with venting or soot build-up on the house this year.

So, my question is:
    Is there a difference in how a 4" horizontal set up with vent compared to a 3"? Any warnings or potential pitfalls that I should be aware of.

I am new to this forum, but enjoy it a lot and did search as much as possible on the forum and through google before asking this question, but I do apologize if it has already been answered somewhere.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    What is the length of the 4" horizontal run you will be doing?

I am not sure I know what you are trying to get across in you #2 line.
    "I want to have the option to add exterior vertical in the future if I have problems with venting or soot build-up on the house this year."
    There should be no soot build up or venting issues on a short horizontal run unless you burn bad pellets. The only reason for a 3' vertical rise is to create a natural draft if the stove dies.

Eric
    330-876-0200
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.