3 Stage Snowblower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Velvet, in looking at the the parts diagram the Cub 3X uses a friction disk "trans". There are plenty out there but for me that's not the sign of a high quality machine. Considering you already are equipped I think I'd pass. Just my humble opinion.

Don't most of them use a friction disk of some sort for drive speed? I'm pretty sure mine does.

I know all the MTD's do. Not sure about Ariens etc. As I mentioned earlier, my 90's era Craftsman has gears and will grind through most anything. You all may be right and that's all you can get these days. I kinda assumed once you stepped up in quality ($$) that would change. I thought the MTD version was fairly wimpy though IMO. Like my crappy MTD tractor with the VSP drive, it works but the idea that you're go gonna plow (and they do sell plows and throwers etc for it) or use other major attachments is pretty laughable.

As a side note, I find my newer Ariens doesn't go as fast as my older Ariens did, in forward or reverse.

And, jatoxico, my browser goes nowhere when I point it to hearth.gov :)

My Ariens Pro 32 is friction disk. It's also offered in hydro. I've had zero slipping issues with my Ariens. My old "Husky" (AYP) did have slipping issues as well as dis-engagement issues. It was basically the same blower as the cheap a$$ Poulan Pro found in HD.

As a side note, I find my newer Ariens doesn't go as fast as my older Ariens did, in forward or reverse.

And, jatoxico, my browser goes nowhere when I point it to hearth.gov :)

you have a new Ariens and are looking to downgrade to an MTD?!!? !!! ;lol

Never looked at Ariens friction disk, probably more robust than the MTD version. And not to say they don't work just not sure I'd run out for that 3 stage.

As far as that other "thing" just my little comment.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Just one person in that thread had one and he hadn't used it yet.

I'm confident that these are not the way to go. At all. I've inspected them first hand, and it's been talked about before. Gimmick.

Feel free to pick one up though, as you seem pretty set on dismissing most the suggestions. I'd offer this: For the past 40 years of fairly modern snowblower designs, single stage and 2 stage have been the thing. Toro, John Deere, Simplicity, Bolens, Gibson, etc.. has settled on an either single, or 2 stage design.

I wouldn't trust a crappy looking, poorly built MTD in any case, nevermind a brand new design with additional unnecessary parts.

Reactions: Ashful
I think I will stick with my used Honda track drive with hydrostatic. I never had any real issues with friction disk machines. I did stock spare disk as that's not anything that you will find on the shelf when you need it. Definitely a PITA to change out in cold garage.

Mine's only a little 2-stage'r, but it gets the job done. ;lol

When you can throw snow 60+ feet with 2 stages, what's the point of the third?

MTD = gimmicky sub-consumer grade garbage.

snowblowers.jpg

Don't most of them use a friction disk of some sort for drive speed? I'm pretty sure mine does.
My ca.2000 Ariens 824 (pictured above) uses a friction disc drive. It's the one point of semi-regular frustration, on that otherwise mostly reliable machine.

My old Toro (1970's) used a belt drive, which meant it only had one speed, but was as reliable as concrete.

The big Woods blower uses a hydrostatic drive, by Deere. :p

The gearbox on my Craftsman has 6 forward speeds which is enough. First gear is rarely needed and 6 (even 5) is mostly for moving it from here to there. Really my only complaint is how it does in slush but I have the single stage for that.

I've considered doing an auger modification to improve performance but even though many swear by it I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

I wouldn't trust a crappy looking, poorly built MTD in any case, nevermind a brand new design with additional unnecessary parts.

MTD = gimmicky sub-consumer grade garbage.

So frustrating. MTD buys a company for its name, typically a name that was earned by making a quality product, then slaps it on their cheap products.

I couldn't get by without variable speed-you have to go slower to suck up the deep stuff.
Nah. On that old pig, variable speed was just the amount the tires slipped when pushing thru deep stuff. Don't knock it 'till you try it.

So frustrating. MTD buys a company for its name, typically a name that was earned by making a quality product, then slaps it on their cheap products.
Exacatically.

I have a couple 2 stroke toros with the duratech (Briggs) 6.5hp. I hopped them both up and they were awesome to begin with now they spit fire. Great for my stupid paver walkway and deck. Driveway gets the skid steer! I tried the paddle on gravel. Frustrating to say the least !

My Toro 826 O is friction disk drive. (I actually thought all Toros were?).. I got a new disk for it a couple years ago because it would slip in first gear (got the blower used, seemed that way when I got it), but I haven't changed it out yet since I usually use 2nd gear for the bad stuff & it doesn't often slip in 2nd. (More likely a case of not getting around to it though, in all honesty.)

My uncle got one of these new 3 stage Cub Cadets this fall, but then got a bad health report so he might not get to use it this winter. Will have to remember to ask him about it next time I see him - but it does seem kind of gimmicky.

My Toro 826 O is friction disk drive. (I actually thought all Toros were?).. I got a new disk for it a couple years ago because it would slip in first gear (got the blower used, seemed that way when I got it), but I haven't changed it out yet since I usually use 2nd gear for the bad stuff & it doesn't often slip in 2nd. (More likely a case of not getting around to it though, in all honesty).
Can't speak with authority on Toro's friction disk drive, since my Toro pre-dated that technology, but Ariens uses a metal disk to drive a rubber tire. When it is slipping, there are a few things to do, in this order:

1. Clean the disk with brake cleaner. Oil or grease on the disk will make it slip. Careful to not soak the tire that rides on the disk.
2. Adjust tension between disk and tire.
3. Replace tire (not disk). This may be different on Ariens vs. Toro, but Ariens has a plain metal disk driving a shaft with a tire. The tire gets old and hard, and starts to slip.

I have never seen any reason to replace the disk, but again, maybe Toro's design is different.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I think the Toro name is 'friction wheel' - which is maybe the equivalent to the Ariens 'tire' you speak of. It looks like a pulley but has a layer of rubber around the rim, that gets driven by pushing perpendicularly on the spinning 'traction pulley', which looks like a disk.

I did give it a good cleaning once - and think I saw a slight flat spot or two on it. Not sure why it mostly only slips in first gear though - maybe because at the higher gear positions, the speed of the traction pulley is greater & it can get it turning past a flat spot.

I wonder, what would be a good thing to apply to the rubber to try to soften it up some - without making it slippery? Or maybe there isn't such a thing...

I think the Toro name is 'friction wheel' - which is maybe the equivalent to the Ariens 'tire' you speak of. It looks like a pulley but has a layer of rubber around the rim, that gets driven by pushing perpendicularly on the spinning 'traction pulley', which looks like a disk.

I did give it a good cleaning once - and think I saw a slight flat spot or two on it. Not sure why it mostly only slips in first gear though - maybe because at the higher gear positions, the speed of the traction pulley is greater & it can get it turning past a flat spot.

I wonder, what would be a good thing to apply to the rubber to try to soften it up some - without making it slippery? Or maybe there isn't such a thing...
It slips most in first gear because the tire is traveling closest to the center of the disk, and there is a greater axial component (meaning lesser fraction of total applied force is radial) on the tire at that location. Get closer to the rim of the disk, and the arc is much broader, so a lesser fraction of total force is axial. Axial = slip, radial = driving force.

One thing I noted between and older Ariens and my newer husky was the diameter of the friction wheel. The old Ariens wheel was three times the diameter of the husky unit. I expect a bigger diameter wheel is going to last longer then a small diameter one.

Bigger diameter wheel trades applied torque for rim speed. Again, less slippage. I should have pointed out above that in addition to the axial slip, there is an opportunity for the engine to apply greater torque closer to center of disk, which can increase slippage.

This "3 Stage" is like the Gillette marketing scheme for their multi blade razors. They went from single to double to triple to 4 blades to the latest and greatest "shave a man can get" -- the battery powered blade. Man, what's next, a flame thrower snow blower ? Yesirreee.

Hey, MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.