1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

30 day chimney clean out,Pics

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by HDRock, Mar 17, 2013.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Pics before cleaning
    Burning wood from12 to 28% MC , I got about 5 coups out, non EPA stove see Sig
    Last pic is what I cleaned out of the top 4' of pipe that I remove when I clean chimney out .
    In the past the powder was more black, U see in the pic It's more brown so what does that mean ???

IMG_20130213_114825.jpg IMG_20130213_114837.jpg IMG_20130213_114900.jpg IMG_20130213_120357.jpg
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Just normal stuff. Looks good. Most of what I get is brown soot.
    chvymn99 and ScotO like this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I guess this means I am doing something right , and if the stuff is brown instead of black, I have no creosote is that correct;?
    ScotO likes this.
  4. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    That's clean burnin man! No "sote" there IMHO. The only reason I got rid of my non EPA stove was to get longer burn times.
  5. ozzy73

ozzy73 Member

Loc:
    ON, Canada
    Looks good. The brown stuff is what you want.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    To be a bit different I'll say it is not bad but a lot more than I'd expect after only 30 days. Notice the black at the connection too. So long as you continue to clean often you'll be okay but you can and no doubt will do better.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yep. 12% is great, 28% is pretty soggy...
    chvymn99, ScotO and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Looks pretty normal... I usually get half a coffee can after 6 weeks
  9. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Yes it is but that is at the high end of what I have been burning,mostly I have been mixing ,18 to 25% with good dry stuff,

How much I get out is really kind of a guess,. cuz it just drops down in the stove then I shovel out all the ashes.

Oh ya it will get better, I have maple n ash stacked for next year that is at 25% now that will be good n dry by then, and I will be cutting more dead stuff now,and other wood for 2013, what ever I can get my hands on ==c
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

That don't look too bad at all......the big thing is you don't have the huge heavy black flakes, the goopy black tar, or the popcorn-like clumps that are telltale of a flue fire (that's the REALLY bad stuff).

Some of your wood is on the damp side, but sounds like you got a good system going. Once you get three years ahead on your woodstack, you'll REALLY see a difference.....Keep up those good habits, my friend!
    Backwoods Savage, chvymn99 and HDRock like this.
  11. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Oops ;em what I meant was, I will be cutting more dead stuff now,for 2013-14 year and other wood for 2015, what ever I can get my hands on