1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

30 nc owners..... paint curing smell

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by crackshot, Mar 7, 2011.

1. crackshot

crackshot Member

Loc:
    Moosup ct
    hey fellas,.... wondering how bad the englander 30 smells of paint on first initial fire ups. mine will be here the end of the week,... and after install,... I am wondering if I should send the wife and child away(shopping)..... the wife is 5 months prego and the boy is 2..... I dont want to light her up (stove) with them there if its not gonna be controllable with a window or 2 cracked.... thanks again

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Stick a couple of pieces of pipe in the flue collar and burn it in on the driveway or sidewalk.

Attached Files:

3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    It will stink for certain. If it happens indoors everything will need to be opened up to clear out the smell.

pen
  4. crackshot

crackshot Member

Loc:
    Moosup ct
    great idea!!!!!!! thanks for the idea !!!!.... Ill just have to take it back outside once i get my pipe,..... is there anything you guys would have done differently during the break in....like temps. temp duration????
  5. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You will need to keep the door cracked like in the picture because draft will be poor with just a couple of pieces of pipe. As far as temps go I just fire the sucker up to 500 and let it cure.
  6. crackshot

crackshot Member

Loc:
    Moosup ct
    thank you once again sir.... I appreciate it!
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Remember that any new pipe sections in the house are going to smell too for a bit.
  8. mainemaul

mainemaul New Member

Loc:
    southern me.
    BROTHER BART is right, i have 2 of these babys and the 1st one went in the house and i thought i would never get er' burned off. every new high temp would stink the house up...... the 2nd 30 is at camp and i did a major 4 hour burn with 750F on top outside. after that there was minor stinkage from the 6 inch pipe but just one fire and the pipe was cured narry a fume from that stove.
    enjoy the stove, it will serve you well.
  9. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Northern Virgina recorded recorded record high temps for the day I did that burn-in. ;-P