1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

300 year old firestarters.....

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ScotO, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

got home this afternoon and first thing I did was go down back to where I cut those ancient barn beams up last evening for my standoffs in the living room hearth and clean up the scrap parts of that beam. I noticed that the core of the wood (which would have been the beginnings of that tree around 300 years ago) was totally crystallized with pitch. So I took the maul and removed the outer layer of wood to get to the heartwood, and used the hatchet to 'sliver' up the heartwood. That stuff lights with a match and it is unreal how it takes off! They call that core stuff 'fatwood', and I now have a 40lb box of it. Neat to think of all that potential energy that has been 'corked' up in the heart of that beam for several centuries.......

only took 15 minutes to sliver up several pieces of that heartwood. I still have to cut them in half, these should last me several years. I never did get to make my toilet paper tube/noodle firestarters yet. I'll do it sometime, but I really don't need them now!

2012-11-12_16-12-24_648.jpg 2012-11-12_16-12-31_107.jpg
    2012-11-12_16-13-39_918.jpg 2012-11-12_16-28-00_182.jpg
    f3cbboy, Thistle, albert1029 and 3 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    THAT'S fr$$kin cool
    ScotO likes this.
  3. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Nice. I like fatwood. I have a few boxes of it although I doubt it has the provenance that yours has.....Gets fire going fine. I saw what you did with the wood in your other post. Looks great.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    Don't you have anything a little older....Geezzz! :)
    ScotO likes this.
  5. Bocefus78

Bocefus78 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside Indy
    Cool!
    ScotO likes this.
  6. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Thats cool ! Scotty what type of wood species do you think it is ?
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

It looks to be red pine or pitch pine. The sapwood is a pinkish red and very tight grained, and the heartwood is super pungent, even after being dead and part of a barn since 1868........lots of crystallized pitch, wood sure looks like a species of pitch pine to me.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Scott, if you really want to have some fun, try making that kindling using hydraulics. I really don't need kindling wood but somehow when I get a nice soft maple I just can't seem to help myself. Never knew I could make kindling so fast.
    ScotO likes this.
  9. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    And I thought the scraps of 106 yr old 1 x 8 western pine shiplap & doug fir beams/bracing from neighbor's roof burned good.....Sure smell good sawing it up too.Ended up with 150 lineal feet of the best shiplap they stripped off,used almost 25 ft yesterday for boxing in/spacers when helping install a new entrance door/jamb & sidelights at parent's church parsonage.
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    put a hunk of lighter pine oin to start fire this eve. Mine is loblolly or longleaf? That stuff does better if you don't split it years a head of time, its like it dries out and looses some of that resin.