5" flue to 6" pipe too problematic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcano

Nov 11, 2008
Upstate NY
I am thinking of buying a secondhand Jotul F118. The older ones have a 5" flue. I already have some 6"
Metalbestos pipe that I would love to utilize, saving a bit of money. Now, if I use a 5"to 6" adapter and
run 6" pipe all the way from the 5" flue to the top, will I risk performance problems? I will probably only
have about 16-18' of chimney total.
Thanks

In Canada we have guys using this all of the time.. it's a substitute for a small flue... so far no complaints

I'm no expert but I read that the rule of thumb was that a chimney flue should be roughly no more than 3x the flue opening on the stove. I take that to be a surface area comparison so wouldn't that mean a 5in (19.6sqin) could go as high as roughly 58sqin? Even an 8in liner is only 50.3sqin so according to this "rule of thumb" you could even go to 8in. Again, I'm no expert. This is just what I read in a stove install manual.

What I have yet to see is a rule of thumb as to going the other way (i.e. 8in to 6in) other than "if the manual says you can, you can.

Wood Burning Experts: Which way is potentially more problematic. Increasing or Decreasing?...

Decreasing is the more problematic and is only allowed to be done in certain circumstances where there is an excellent draft, at least in Canada, not sure about the US.

As for going from 5 inch to 6 inch you will be fine, by the adapter and enjoy the savings...

I went from 6in to 8in with my new stove and it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.