6" of Chimney make a difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
Ok, this will probably be a dumb question to most on here but I want to know if having 6" less of chimney pipe will make a difference in draft preformance.

Would 16.5 feet be worse than 17 feet for a chimney system height enough to noticeably affect the draft?

Reason I'm asking this is I have to build a chase around the chimney pipe (HOA is requiring it) and I don't want a giant ugly chase sticking way up out of the side of my roof.

The difference would keep a shorter chase which I think would be better as there's not as much chase sticking out for the wind to blow on.

Plus I wouldn't have a giant unproportionate box sticking up from the gable end on the house.

Chimney height from roof edge is 7 feet up vs. 6.5 feet up. There will be 2, 15 degree elbows of ULTRA black inside to have an offset so that needs to be kept in mind.

Thanks

What's the recommended height for the stove you have? Will a difference of 6" make that much difference in the looks?

It could, but probably not for the reasons you think....if all conditions are perfect the 6" would probably be OK . But site conditions, roof pitches, topography, caps, etc....have a significant effect on draft...The manufacturers guidline is a good start, but tweaking your actual setup to your conditions is probably a good idea..

Stoves a lopi cape cod, manual says 15 feet (hearth floor to chimney too which would be 19.5 to 20 feet). The elevation is 5,100 feet.

Wind blows pretty good. Had 60 mpg gust last week which happens a couple times a winter. Usually 20 to 30 gust are typical.

5/12 pitch the roof.

This thread is interesting to me because i will have approx. 24ft of chimney from top of stove to chimney cap. Roughly 15ft inside room to ceiling an the rest through attic and out. Hmmmm...i guess this will affect stove selection....

I think with a 24 foot chimney system you can choose any stove. Most have a 12 foot minimum system requirement and all will say what they require in there manual. The cape cod is techniqually at 12 foot minimum as they say 15 feet from the floor to the top of the chimney. Subtract 35" of the stove's height and get roughly 12 feet.

The minimum is 12 feet at sea level and the higher elevation, number of offsets, type of offsets (15, 30, 45, 90 degree) all affect the draft and require high systems. These are only a few things that affect the draft however they are some of the major players.

I think with a 24 foot steam you're starting off pretty good.

Reactions: Creekheat
T
I think with a 24 foot chimney system you can choose any stove. Most have a 12 foot minimum system requirement and all will say what they require in there manual. The cape cod is techniqually at 12 foot minimum as they say 15 feet from the floor to the top of the chimney. Subtract 35" of the stove's height and get roughly 12 feet.

The minimum is 12 feet at sea level and the higher elevation, number of offsets, type of offsets (15, 30, 45, 90 degree) all affect the draft and require high systems. These are only a few things that affect the draft however they are some of the major players.

I think with a 24 foot steam you're starting off pretty good.

Thanks!

I had a 12' with a fireplace once, facing west on a mountainside and had poor draft. Increased it 2' and improved the draft considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.