8" chimney install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
I recently bought a stove and chimney from a man who on oxygen who cannot burn anymore.I will be getting the stove (Country flame BIG) and all pipe. His was a basement thru-wall install so I know I will have extra parts and probably need some. I have a buck 21 installed now using a 6" liner up a double wall pre-fab fireplace chimney. I will be ripping this out and stacking the 8" metalbestos up the interior chase and out thru the flat panel chimney box on the roof. Currently there is NO ceiling in the area directly above the fireplace, there are metal brackets holding the double wall up. I will be framing up a ceiling about 6' up (4.5' above the hearth) with 2x4s and durock (1/2"). Should I use a flat ceiling support box above the durock to hold the weight of the chimney? Is there anything that you guys see wrong with this setup (the new one, not the one thats being removed)? I will be using 8" single wall (about 3') from the top of the stove to the class A. I might be a bit off on my measurements, this is in my parents house a half hour away. The stove is surrounded by a brick fireplace built last year.. Here are a couple pictures of the buck 21 sitting in there. What do you guys think? My only concern this far is the single wall pipe, I might have to go double wall if I get too close to something other than brick. How close is too close for single wall again?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Attachments

• IMG00073-20101118-1754.jpg
    IMG00073-20101118-1754.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG00074-20101118-1758.jpg
    IMG00074-20101118-1758.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 239
Single wall clearance is 18". Be sure to check the minimum ceiling height for this stove. Many require 84" - 7'.

Wow, 84"- 7'... Thats amazing.. The stove is an older country flame, non cat.. It will be used until I can find a big cat stove to replace it with.. Probably a big buck or BBF.. So far I can't say I would buy another blaze king.. Any ideas on the head clearance for the old country flames? Might be on the back, I'll go check that now..

Jason

BTW, if this is a non cat stove why does it have a bypass lever? I think I might have fell into a cat stove and not known it.. Cat is definately missing but it sure looks like a cat should fit in here.. wow..

Jason

What happened to the Blaze King?

The blaze king is still in my house. There is no dealership support for them in my area.. The BK works ok, but anything warranty related is at best 8 days away.. I really bought this stove for the chimney, it will be used at my parents house.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.