1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

8" chimney install

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jtb51b, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    I recently bought a stove and chimney from a man who on oxygen who cannot burn anymore.I will be getting the stove (Country flame BIG) and all pipe. His was a basement thru-wall install so I know I will have extra parts and probably need some. I have a buck 21 installed now using a 6" liner up a double wall pre-fab fireplace chimney. I will be ripping this out and stacking the 8" metalbestos up the interior chase and out thru the flat panel chimney box on the roof. Currently there is NO ceiling in the area directly above the fireplace, there are metal brackets holding the double wall up. I will be framing up a ceiling about 6' up (4.5' above the hearth) with 2x4s and durock (1/2"). Should I use a flat ceiling support box above the durock to hold the weight of the chimney? Is there anything that you guys see wrong with this setup (the new one, not the one thats being removed)? I will be using 8" single wall (about 3') from the top of the stove to the class A. I might be a bit off on my measurements, this is in my parents house a half hour away. The stove is surrounded by a brick fireplace built last year.. Here are a couple pictures of the buck 21 sitting in there. What do you guys think? My only concern this far is the single wall pipe, I might have to go double wall if I get too close to something other than brick. How close is too close for single wall again?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Single wall clearance is 18". Be sure to check the minimum ceiling height for this stove. Many require 84" - 7'.
  3. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    Wow, 84"- 7'... Thats amazing.. The stove is an older country flame, non cat.. It will be used until I can find a big cat stove to replace it with.. Probably a big buck or BBF.. So far I can't say I would buy another blaze king.. Any ideas on the head clearance for the old country flames? Might be on the back, I'll go check that now..

Jason
  4. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    BTW, if this is a non cat stove why does it have a bypass lever? I think I might have fell into a cat stove and not known it.. Cat is definately missing but it sure looks like a cat should fit in here.. wow..

Jason
  5. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    What happened to the Blaze King?
  6. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    The blaze king is still in my house. There is no dealership support for them in my area.. The BK works ok, but anything warranty related is at best 8 days away.. I really bought this stove for the chimney, it will be used at my parents house.

Jason