8" flue into 6" liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryds

Oct 8, 2015
MA
I'll start by saying I have very little experience with wood stoves, but as an HVAC engineer, I would not be too concerned about connecting to a larger flue. As long as you can get it to draft you're fine. And if you do have issues, then you can replace it later and save the trouble and money now.

Funny, I had just joined this forum to ask the opposite question. I have a narrow 6" opening thru the damper (which I would prefer not to remove) and I am considering buying a Buck Stove model 80 which has an 8" connection. Are there any known issues, code or otherwise with reducing from 8" to 6" at the stove? I'm extremely hesitant to do this unless others have done so successfully and the local inspector is OK with it.

Welcom byrds. It's strongly advised to not downsize a flue. Smoke spillage, hard starting in mild weather, poor burn response are all potential issues. Your situation is typical. There are a few solutions. The liner can be ovalized, but that adds restriction and a cleaning hassle. A better solution is to either remove the damper or cut out a notch for the liner to easily pass through.

I've moved this query to it's own thread.

Our Buck 27000 is set up like this. Just moved into the home this summer and our first time with wood stoves. It seems to work fine for us. No problems getting fires going and it drafts well. It's a 2 story home with interior chimney built around 1982 with the stove added, (I'm guessing) not too many years after the house was built. This may be the only year we run the Buck as I'm looking to replace with an Englander next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.