Appalachian 32-BW insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

haddenjriley

Nov 27, 2023
Ohio
I have an Appalachian 32-BW in my basement I just purchase. It does not have a liner in it. Looks like a 8” opening.

I have a 6” liner kit, can I put a 8” in the stove opening that converts to a 6” that I could connect to the chimney liner? Like a 8”-6” reducer ?

Also, I plugged in the blower and it just hums. Not blowing at all. What could be the problem? It’s pretty dirty, what the best trouble shoot to narrow the problem?

IMG_0275.jpeg IMG_0276.jpeg IMG_0274.jpeg

It doesn't look like there's room for a reducer and it's uncertain how well it would work. Appalachian's docs are not the best and avoid discussing flue size. Be sure to have the chimney completely cleaned before putting in a liner.

Pull the blower assembly and clean it out thoroughly. Then, if the blower wheel spins freely, oil the fan motor at the two ports with about 12 drops of oil per port. 3n1 electric motor oil is good for this but 20w motor oil will work in a pinch. See if the motor runs then. Try at different speeds.

It’s an 8 inch opening on the stove. are you saying I don’t have enough height to put a reducer? What would be the best way to put the liner in? Just purchased an 8 inch liner?

i am having trouble getting my stove up and running and I need to find a way to start heating the house soon because of the cold temps. question on the blower. does it need to get to a certain temp before the fan will turn on? I just plugged it in cold and turned on to manual and that's when i heard the humming sound. Also, can the blower assembly be taking out and cleaned without removing the stove insert from the fireplace?

On the reducer for the liner. see attached photos. i'm thinking if i put the 8" piece in the stove and connect the 6" piece to the chimney liner I have, this should work...?? Any other ideas? Thinking of getting something like the attached item reducer.

Any input would help, hope to hear from you. Thanks.

IMG_0277.jpg IMG_0278.jpg kub9datkitdeiqnzivgi__62439.jpg IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0275.jpg

The reducer is the opposite of what is needed. The crimp needs to be on the stove end and the 6" side need to be large enough for the liner to fit into it. This will prevent creosote from dripping on top of the stove.

I don't know this insert specifically, but based on other Appalachian inserts there is a very good chance that the blower assembly is removable from the front. It usually is just a matter of removing a couple of screws on the front plate. Running the blower on manual will bypass the thermostatic snap switch. Most likely the bearings need lubing if the motor is not frozen. See above posting for directions.

The reducer is the opposite of what is needed. The crimp needs to be on the stove end and the 6" side need to be large enough for the liner to fit into it. This will prevent creosote from dripping on top of the stove.

I don't know this insert specifically, but based on other Appalachian inserts there is a very good chance that the blower assembly is removable from the front. It usually is just a matter of removing a couple of screws on the front plate. Running the blower on manual will bypass the thermostatic snap switch. Most likely the bearings need lubing if the motor is not frozen. See above posting for directions.
So more something like this ? Or if you know of anything else. Let me know, thanks.

1701296297270.jpeg