A clean cat is a happy cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
The last couple of weeks my cat has been a little tough to get fired up. Needed higher temps or she would sputter out. So this morning before I started the stove up I took the cat out and found she was clogged with fly ash. Took her outside and gave her a good cleaning a voila she fired up at 250::F and never looked back.

As I said a clean cat.........:)

Another fine job done.Let there be heat!

How did you clean it?

A brush and some lung power to blow the ashes out. I would have used a vacuum but the rest of the family was asleep.

fv

Fireview2788,
That's what I want to hear! As a eventual CAT owner, I try to digest as much info as I can about them, ceramic and steel. Just curious, overall are you satisfied with the CAT stove? Would you buy another?
Tim

As I said a clean cat.........:)

Well, most of the time, but not always... lol ==c

wet-cat_1.jpg wet-cat_0.jpg

Reactions: Gary_602z
begreen,
Nice clean cats!. Probably no fly ash on them I would guess. LOL
Tim

Fireview2788,
That's what I want to hear! As a eventual CAT owner, I try to digest as much info as I can about them, ceramic and steel. Just curious, overall are you satisfied with the CAT stove? Would you buy another?
Tim

I would never have anything else. When you flip that lever and watch the temp climb you know your getting everything you can out of that wood. I also appreciate reducing air pollution via reduced particulate matter. I love my Fireview.

NEW FIREVIEW FALL 2012.................. I HOPE

Good for you getting that cat cleaned out. This is interesting because in the 5 winter's we've heated with the Fireview, there is rarely anything on the cat when we clean. Whenever I've checked it, I just take an old paint brush and give it a couple of swipes and it is done. So this interests me in knowing why and how it got clogged.

1. How long has it been since you cleaned the cat?

2. What type of wood have you been burning?

3. How long had it been since splitting and stacking that wood before you burned it?

4. How and where was it stacked?

5. Do you have any idea why and how this cat got plugged?

6. Was this the steel cat or ceramic?

Here is a picture of our cat and this is quite typical of what we find. We usually check it in mid-winter and then again when we do the annual summer cleaning. This is the steel cat.

cat-1.JPG

Might pull mine out this summer. 2 years of burning on it, working just fine.

After reading all the posts about the different cat stoves, including the new Progress, the FireView really seems to be a bullet proof proven stove. Cut and dry to run and nice to service. If it's not broke don't fix it!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Backwoods, Fireview, Nate,
Good to hear that some of the CAT (steel in particular) issues are getting a little more setteled. For a while the threads were on fire (no pun intended) with stories about sub par performance of steel cats in particular. There has not been as much negative reporting lately. Perhaps still waiting for results on returned steel cats for testing.
Tim

Answered your questions within the quote and used green font. (Since I'm greeney)

Good for you getting that cat cleaned out. This is interesting because in the 5 winter's we've heated with the Fireview, there is rarely anything on the cat when we clean. Whenever I've checked it, I just take an old paint brush and give it a couple of swipes and it is done. So this interests me in knowing why and how it got clogged.

1. How long has it been since you cleaned the cat? It's been a few months.

2. What type of wood have you been burning? It's a mix of wood.

3. How long had it been since splitting and stacking that wood before you burned it? Most of it has been split and stacked for years, some for 1yr plus.

4. How and where was it stacked? Covered and moisture meter showed 17-19%

5. Do you have any idea why and how this cat got plugged? There seems to be a fair amount of fly ash in the cat chamber every time I cleaned the stove.

6. Was this the steel cat or ceramic? I have no idea if it's stainless or ceramic, I'd have to ask Woodstock.

Here is a picture of our cat and this is quite typical of what we find. We usually check it in mid-winter and then again when we do the annual summer cleaning. This is the steel cat. That's what mine looks like after I cleaned it out.

View attachment 64975

Good to hear that some of the CAT (steel in particular) issues are getting a little more setteled. For a while the threads were on fire (no pun intended) with stories about sub par performance of steel cats in particular. There has not been as much negative reporting lately. Perhaps still waiting for results on returned steel cats for testing.
I've been burning a fire the last couple of mornings. As long as I get the flue and the interior temps up with a lively fire, this steel cat will fire off at about 220 stove top.

Do you have the new stainless steel or old cast iron scoop? I've noticed much less fly ash on the cat with the new s/s scoop but you have to brush off the scoop more often.

Todd, I think he has the new SS scoop. Ours is the original.

fv, I do think it might be the wood. You have a mix but what threw me was your statement, "Most of it has been split and stacked for years, some for 1yr plus" Years, some 1 year plus? Then the 17-19% leave not much of a margin there. MM may not be exact but they can be a guideline. Also, if some of that wood is oak, 1 year or 2 years usually does not get it, unless you are oldspark. Around here we leave it in the stack for 3 years minimum. I'll bet you have better results next year.

Todd, I think he has the new SS scoop. Ours is the original.

fv, I do think it might be the wood. You have a mix but what threw me was your statement, "Most of it has been split and stacked for years, some for 1yr plus" Years, some 1 year plus? Then the 17-19% leave not much of a margin there. MM may not be exact but they can be a guideline. Also, if some of that wood is oak, 1 year or 2 years usually does not get it, unless you are oldspark. Around here we leave it in the stack for 3 years minimum. I'll bet you have better results next year.

I'm betting I will too. Most of the year has been the old stuff but the past couple of months have been the 1year stuff. I'll be into an ash, that was standing dead, c/s/s this time last year when I start in the fall. It's already reading at 19% so after a long dry summer it's should be rolling. My shoulder season wood is going to be silver maple that was c/s/s mid-summer last year IF it reads low enough, which it should. I'm setting this other stuff aside for another year just to be on the safe side.

Todd, it looks like a stainless to me.

fv

I remove my cat and brush/blow it clean in mid-season and again at the end. Makes a big difference. We burn about 2 cords generally, and rely on the stove to heat our home.

The cat I'm using now is in its 8th season. At the end of every other year I give it a hot bath in a mix of distilled water and vinegar. This is recommended by the manufacturer (Condar), and it really seems to work. The thing still looks like new and I honestly can't detect any decline in performance.

Welcome to the forum Megunticook.

Not sure what you use to blow on the cat but it is usually not recommended to use compressed air except for maybe those cans of air you can get in office supply for cleaning keyboards. But 8 years sounds like you are doing okay. What stove are you burning? If possible, put the name of your stove in your signature line then everyone will know the stove you use and can answer questions much easier.

Welcome to the forum Megunticook.

Not sure what you use to blow on the cat but it is usually not recommended to use compressed air except for maybe those cans of air you can get in office supply for cleaning keyboards. But 8 years sounds like you are doing okay. What stove are you burning? If possible, put the name of your stove in your signature line then everyone will know the stove you use and can answer questions much easier.

Thanks, glad to be here.

I just use my lungs to blow out the cat, but thanks for the warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.